May 17, 2013
Hudsonville, MI
Hi, I'm Jeremy. I'm new to the board and I thought I would introduce myself.

At the end of last summer, my wife and I found a used, 28' round, Doughboy pool, with a deck that went all the way around the pool, and a slide, on Craigslist for $100. We of course had to take it all down. That was a lot of work! We stored the pool and the deck in our garage all winter (that sucked with our Michigan winter) and we were getting read to install the pool over Memorial day. I went to my township office, application in hand, to get the appropriate permits, only to be told that the location I had picked out for my pool didn't meet the local zoning ordinances. I also found out, that where I was "allowed" to put a pool...my 28' round wouldn't fit!

We were frustrated to say the least (our liner for the 28' round had arrived the day before all of this went down)! We were told we could apply for a zoning variance, but this process was costly and the outcome didn't look favorable. After spending several hours pouring over our lot survey and then recreating it in my CAD program, it became apparent we needed an oval shaped pool! This would fit in the "allowed" area. Back to Craigslist we go! My wife ended up finding a 18 x 34 Doughboy, again for $100/you tear it down. I just finished tearing out the pool last night (5-16-2013)! This pool is in way better shape than the round one was, even though it is an older model.

So, now I have a 28' round pool and liner I need to get rid of, and I'll have to re-engineer the deck to work with the oval pool, but it should be great when I'm done! It's going to be a busy summer!

I do have a quick question. I watched the current Doughboy install video for oval pools. I believe the side supports in the video were "non-buttress". They buried a cinder block under the side support and bracket under the support pushed against the buried cinder block. My oval pool is probably 15 to 20 years old, with a buttress style side support, and when I tore it out, there were no blocks at all under the side supports. It seemed like they just used lots of back fill to hold the supports in place. Do I need the buried blocks to do the install correctly?

I would recommend you bury the cinder blocks unless you want the backfill and can deal with it. Personally, the buried cinder blocks just give a cleaner look. Other's will chime in here with thier opinions too. In my mind, the buried blocks should stay put and not move where as do you really want to fart around with back filling? Since your city is giving you Crud already, would they give you more Crud about a backfilled pool?

That is so cool that you found an oval pool basically for nothing. Good luck for all this!!

Bob E.

Thanks Bob,

We got a killer deal on this oval pool. This pool is at least 15 yrs old and all components are rust free...including the wall that was below ground. As far as back filling goes, there will be deck all the way around the pool, so you won't see it. My yard is brutally hard clay, so its' going to be tough work either way.

Well, we managed to get rid of the liner we bought for the 28' round pool! Managed to get most of our money out of it too. Ordering the 18x34 oval liner this afternoon. This, of course is not a common size, so it has to be special ordered. Hoping to schedule the excavator for June 13 or 14.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.