May 16, 2013
Janesville WI
Wow, sure glad I found this website, learned a lot from you guys! First time pool owner! Just finished leveling, getting ready to put up new pool once SWG arrives. I have read all of the sticky posts regarding your BBB method. My question is when I get ready to fill the pool you recommend using the BBB method when filling. If I get my levels correct and then get ready to dump my salt won't my levels skyrocket? I will have everything I need to proceed once I start filling. I think it will take about 20+ hours to fill to recommended 7,000+ gallons. Would I really need to be concerned about algae blossom while filling pool? Sorry if that is a stupid question I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. Thanks in advance.

Dtmos01:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Wouldn't worry about algae on the initial fill of a pool. However, when you run your first chlorine test, don't be surprised if you have some CC's (even in excess of 0.5 ppm). Sometimes tap water can contain CC's. The initial dose of chlorine along with sunlight should take care of that - just continue to keep an eye on it by testing daily, preferably with the FAS-DPD test.

Since you will have no CYA on an initial fill, I would give the pool an initial dose of chlorine at 3 ppm and add enough stabilizer to get your CYA up to 30 (note that it will take about a week for all the CYA to appear in your test results). After adding stabilizer, then adjust pH and TA. Maintain the FC at around 3 ppm for the first 3-4 days. If CC's are still appearing after 2 days, you can bump the FC up to 4-5 ppm. After 5 days, increase your maintenance FC within the 3-6 ppm range to account for the increased CYA that should be mixing into the water at this time. Adding salt shouldn't affect your other numbers.

Thank you for the quick reply! So in other words I should go ahead and follow the BBB method while filling my pool? I am still new to all of the water chemistry so I am going to spend some time in the "pool school" section and obviously reading all the posts and replies here. So even though I am going to be dumping around 170 pounds of salt into the water I will still need to add chlorine to the mix? I was under the impression that I would fill the pool to the max and then add salt. Turn on pump and wait 24 hours for salt to dissipate. Then turn on SWG and let it run for a couple hours then take a reading of levels and adjust after that?

Yes I purchased the Taylor K2006 test kit that was recommended by so many. Just trying to get a grip on the next phase of the pool, which will be filling. I am a step by step type of person so I guess I am looking for a little guidance with the set up that I have, which includes the SWG.

Dtmos01 said:
Yes I purchased the Taylor K2006 test kit that was recommended by so many. Just trying to get a grip on the next phase of the pool, which will be filling. I am a step by step type of person so I guess I am looking for a little guidance with the set up that I have, which includes the SWG.
Fill it up, test the water, adjust pH, hang the CYA sock, and add chlorine.

We recommend getting everything balanced and running before adding salt and turning on the SWG. Check out this thread. Scroll down until you see the highlighting.

There's also this guide in Pool School.

Let me second what Richard said. Yes you are going to be using clorox as your chlorine source before you get your SWG up and running. Once you get the salt in and turn on the SWG, then you will stop adding the bleach. Once you get the SWG going you need to keep the testing going because you need to figure out if you need to "run" the SWG for an hour a day or two or three.......get the idea?

If you keep your pool covered at all times unless it's being used. You will find that you need to run the SWG much less than if it is uncovered. Because of that, I normally have to add like a cup of bleach after each "outting" in the pool.....your testing will tell you how much you need to makeup. If you don't get that, don't worry, just keep testing and you will get it and the best looking pool that will be the envy of all your nieghbors!!

Oh, very good move getting a 2006 BEFORE you started all the pool stuff. Boy did that kit make a world of difference when it came to pool care for me......no more guessing, no more mystery.

Bob E.

Sounds good, I think I have been over thinking this whole process but I like to plan things before I "Jump" into them. I think my plan will be , fill pool 1-2" inches, check for level, all good then fill the rest. Take a test sample with no chemicals in the pool. Adjust levels as necessary. Dump all the salt and let the salt dissolve. Take another sample. Once salt is dissolved, turn on SWG, take another reading etc....that will determine how long I have to run the pump/swg. Test mornings/evenings and keep a log. I think I am on the right track?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.