A few questions

Mar 7, 2013
First of all, I thank all of you for your help. We filled our pool last week for the first time. I used the recommended pool kit and slowly added what the pool calculator said to and the pool company confirmed yesterday that our water is as it should be.

I'm wondering how often I should add chlorine? It seems like I need to almost everyday. We will be gone for two weeks very soon. How do I make this work since no one will be here to look after the pool? What is the lowest amount of chlorine that I can have?

Why can't I use my heater for the first three weeks? I just want to understand the reason for it. I am trying to get my kids swimming lessons to be safe around the pool but the water is freezing.

How do I figure out how fast to run the pump?

I am surprised that every time I ask a question of the pool builder I seem to get a different answer and they tell me things that contradict each other and just don't make sense.

You're going to need chlorine every day or at least every other day.
Post a full set of test results and we may be able to give some suggestions about what to do while your gone.

Also now would be a good time to put all the pool and equipment info in your sig so we'll know what pool we're dealing with.

I assume since you can't run the heater for three weeks that it's a new plaster pool. The reason for not running the heater is because of the new plaster and the dust it creates in the water.

Do you have a tablet chlorinator?

So would the dust hurt the heater? We really do brush the pool twice a day (my mom even asked me if I was working out because my arms are getting so toned) so it isn't like there is a bunch of dust in there. How can the dust hurt the pool?

The dust can stick to the heat exchanger and parts causing things to clog up.

Since I see that you have an Intelliflo, the common recommendation is that it's most efficient at about 1000 rpm so I'd run it there most of the time untill you need more for vacuuming, water features, etc..

Cassidy336:

Cassidy336 said:
I'm wondering how often I should add chlorine? It seems like I need to almost everyday.
Daily chlorine additions during the swim season are the norm.

Cassidy336 said:
We will be gone for two weeks very soon. How do I make this work since no one will be here to look after the pool?
If you have an in-line feeder designed for trichlor pucks, you can use that while you are away. However, it is helpful to know the pool's CYA level before doing that as trichlor adds CYA. If your CYA is high before using the pucks and you use them while you are gone, you could return to an algae bloom.

Cassidy336 said:
What is the lowest amount of chlorine that I can have?
It depends on your pool's CYA level. Refer to the Chlorine/CYA chart link in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.