Wrinkles

korinian

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Claremore, Oklahoma
We've had a very wet winter and spring in Oklahoma. I uncovered the pool this last weekend and it was horrible. Algae was everywhere... thick and nasty. Finally finished getting everything under control yesterday. Nice and clear... however, I've got some wrinkles in my liner. The liner is 3 years old and was flawless as of last year. I'm guessing that the wrinkles are a byproduct of the ground water rising. They are in the shallow end on the floor of the pool. My question is will these damage the liner if I do nothing AND are they as big a pain to remove as I think they will be. Thanks for any help.

Well, I spent about an hour in the shallow end of my pool with a toilet plunger. Not the best opening line in a message, but after carefully working the wrinkles slowly back towards the pool walls I've successfully removed 8 pretty bad wrinkles. I'm about halfway done. It worked great. Just thought I'd give an update. I didn't have to drain any water. Thanks to the 2 forums I frequent for pool info. That's where I'd found the tip about the plunger.

AnnaK said:
Share the tip please. What's the process?

This is from someone else, but's it's what I did.

"What if your pool is full and there are wrinkles in the liner? If there are only a few small wrinkles, you may be able to remove these by using a toilet plunger. By plunging around the wrinkle you can spread out the liner in that area thereby removing the wrinkle. Do not plunge directly on the wrinkle but rather just above, below, or to the side."

I had some pretty long wrinkles but this process worked for me. I would carefully press the plunger beside the wrinkle and gently pull it up and in the direction I want the extra folded liner to go. Then I'd use my toes to flatten out any residual wrinkle. I was really surprised when it worked. Most of the wrinkles I worked toward the wall because I figured that's where the extra lining came from originally. Some of the wrinkles that look like spokes on a wheel... 3 or 4 legs I worked in all directions. It takes time but the ones I worked on yesterday are still gone. I don't know if they'll stay gone... but the solution was cheap and easy.... just time consuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I see by your bio that you have an inground pool?

Is there any particular type of plunger for this job?

anyone who has tried this with ingrounds.. I see a couple of different styles of plungers out there.
I don't have the standard one ( which is a smaller circle bellow a larger one) but rather a skinny but long one that reminds me of a bee-hive that has been squished througha hole
( lol - does that make sense?)

I may give this a try & I'll let you know how it works out :-D

I used one that looks like this:

30201.jpg

The outside skirt got shoved up into the plunger 2 out of 5 times. Although, the rubber towards the bottom has a thinner wall than the top and was probably more gentle on the liner. If I were to do it again I'd probably try a different one and see how it works.

Re: Re:

waste said:
heatmisr said:
Yes, I will try that too. We had our liner replaced in April and by the time all the water was in, we had wrinkles.

Thanks!

Nichole, what :?: no warranty on the install :scratch:

Not for wrinkles. However, I did think about calling them about the uneven bottom. My biggest problem is the drain and refill that would be needed. I really don't have anywhere to drain that much water at one time and I take a hit on my sewer bill for the refill.

Any suggestions?

Sure I've got suggestions :wink: If they won't cover the wrinkles (which they SHOULD!!!!), woof about the uneven floor and they'll have to drain the pool to fix the floor - at that point, once the floor is fixed, just make sure they don't leave wrinkles when they reset the liner :idea: :!: If you want some tips on keeping them honest on not leaving wrinkles this time, I'll gladly help you - I can't believe they don't warranty for wrinkles on a new liner :scratch: :hammer:

Believe it. It was clearly written on the receipt. At the time, right after they left, it wasn't a problem because there weren't any. If I knew then what I know now........ It took 3 days to fill the pool. When it was done filling, that's when all the wrinkles and craters appeared. DH said it was completely smooth when they dropped the liner, so I don't know what happened. Could it be because it took so long to fill the sand had time to shift?

Well, I suppose it could be, but I'd put my money on the sand not being fully compacted before the liner went in and the weight of the water settled the liner/ floor where the sand wasn't @ 95%+ compacted :( If the sand was properly compacted and troweled, you shouldn't have seen more than a small dip or bump 'here or there'

You got scr&wed on your warranty! :evil: The floor should be ~ level and NO wrinkles in the liner!!!! :grrrr:

If I can help as you try to deal with them to make your pool right, feel free to call upon me :)

Thanks, waste.

I'm going to throw the glowbuoy in tomorrow night and take some pictures. (gotta vacuum first) The craters show up real good with that thing in.... :grrrr: I'm going to start a new thread since I unintentionally hijacked this one....lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.