New Pool Start up in Chandler, AZ

Apr 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Our pool is finishing up this week and I have the PB coming on Monday to hook up the equipment, add chemicals, and start it all up. I'll be filling the pool tomorrow after they finish acid washing the pebble finish. The PB told me we could swim in it this weekend, but I was kind of hesitant to getting into the pool with no chemicals or filtering going on. Would it be OK for us to go in it a little bit? Any concerns that I should know about?

What can I expect the PB to do for their start up? It will be interesting to see if what they recommend lines up with the advice here.

I have already read pool school and have a SWG, so I have a pretty good handle on how to get chlorine levels set. I'll also be ordering the TFT100 test kit today so I can start testing next week and get all of the other levels dialed in.

Any advice from others who have recently gone through this process?

The one thing I am confused on is the use of a vacuum in the pool. We don't have an in-floor system and instead have 8 wall return jets positioned around the pool. They are supposed to keep the water pretty turbulent and help keep it churning and everything suspended. The PB said I could just put the vacuum in when I felt it needed vacuuming or if I knew a storm was coming. I am thinking about having a pool service come weekly and part of their service is to sweep/vacuum the pool. Do you think a weekly sweep/vacuum would be enough, assuming the pool wasn't getting hit with a lot of debris?

As I call the pool service companies I am specifically asking questions about what kind of chemicals and processes they use. If they tell me they just throw in shock once a week or when it needs it, they are out. I know enough from here to make sure only pure chlorine/bleach is used so I don't have my other levels get out of whack. I don't want to pay someone that is basically going to require me to keep using them because their process is what is screwing up the pool.

Thanks!

I would pay VERY close attention to what they are trying to add to the pool and may even tell them not too ... although they have the warranty, so you have to sort of listen.

I certainly would not want to leave it full with no chemical adjustments all weekend.

Why are you going to pay someone to add chemicals once a week and not just do it yourself with the knowledge you get here?

I was thinking about hiring someone before I started gaining all the info at this site.

At this point, I think I am going to take care of the pool myself for a while and see how that goes. If I get tired of the maintenance, then I may hire someone. I can get someone for $80 a month to come weekly and do everything. That's nothing and includes all chemicals, cleaning the salt cell, backwashing when necessary, adding DE, etc. However, I won't really know how hard it is to do all of that unless I try it for a while and see if the $80 is worth it.

I am about ready to order the TF100 and the Aquacheck salt strips. Anything else I should order now?

And yeah, they wanted to wait until Tuesday to come start it all up. I asked why they couldn't come on Monday since the pool will be full by then. They moved my appt. to Monday. :)

I can try to add chemicals before then, but without the filter and pump running, I don't know how effective they will be.

What do they have to do to hook the equipment up? I would think it all should be ready to go already.

If you are not able to run the pump, then the only thing I might do is add about 2ppm of chlorine each day and make sure you brush around very good to mix the bleach in. Or just wait and let them get things started. Just do not let them overshoot the CYA.

They have to install the blower pump for the spa, Clear O3 Ozone, Salt Cell, etc. A lot of it is here but not hooked up or installed. I don't know the state of everything and don't want to fry something by firing up the pump when something isn't done yet. Plus, it's the ProLogic 8 system which seems to be locked down until they come set it up. There isn't an obvious On switch and I haven't read anything on how to operate it yet. I can wait until they come hook it up and "school" me.

Thanks for the info.

At this point I'll just let the kids do a little bit of swimming over the weekend and then we'll see how it goes Monday morning. It won't be filled up until Saturday some time and then it will sit on Sunday. They come set it up on Monday morning, so it's not like it's going to sit for days.

If you add 2ppm of chlorine, it should be fine to swim in a bit.

Although there are some threads that so no swimming for few weeks, but that may be for plaster specifically.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.