Impeller locked up, please help!

May 23, 2011
I will try to give detail while being brief - I replaced my hayward superpump 1.5 hp two years ago. This year I go to use it and it hums and then shuts off. I reach in and my impeller will not turn. I remove the motor from the pump housing to check the impeller and it is not clogged at all. I was able to get it to spin counter clockwise but it did not turn freely and it would lock up when turning clockwise.

I noticed some rust and white corrosion near the front of the motor on the bottom - the rust is likely from wet pine straw setting underneath but there is white corrosion near the front and back of the motor - It almost looks like something you would see on a corroded car battery terminal. In addition the part of the diffuser that fits onto the impeller had some scratches in the plastic and some of the plastic under the o-ring seal has eroded away on my diffuser.

So my questions are

What is causing the white corrosion?

What likely caused the scratches on the diffuser (debris, improper seal?)

Because the motor seems to work, do you guys think replacing only the diffuser and impeller will work despite the corrosion and rusting on my motor?

Does the motor spin freely without the impeller on it? If it does then you probably need to replace the impeller and seal.

The white corrosion is from the aluminum of the end bells getting wet.

The scratches are from debris going through the pump and is somewhat normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.