Algae is starting to come back

miller9951

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Indiantown, FL
I did a bleach shock treatment on our pool about three weeks ago and the water was clear with no visible signs algae. When performing the shock the FC was holding at 23 at night so I let the FC level drop to 11 then the algae slowly started to return. As of last night my FC did not drop from 23 but I can still see some algae on the bottom and around the return jet. Why does the algae keep returning is there something that I am doing wrong? I don't know if this is normal but every since I raised the shock level my TA sample will turn from green to yellow instead of red.

My numbers are
FC 23
PH 7.4
CYA 80
TA about 120 sample turns yellow instead of red

You shouldn't have algae growing with a FC of 11. Are you sure it isn't tree pollen or some other kind of dust? The fact that it's around the returns doesn't say algae to me, but makes me think filter problems.

The TA test works differently in the presence of high chlorine.

My wild guess is that the 2 drops of chlorine neutralizer that go into the 25 ml sample at the beginning of the TA test aren't enough for a FC = 23. You could try it with a dilution: mix 1/2 pool water with 1/2 distilled water and test 25 ml of that for TA, then multiply the result by 2.

As to the returning algae, I would brush the bottom and keep the pump running. We sometimes have algae on the return jet. I use a small nail brush and an old toothbrush to remove that. In high summer it's not unusual for there to be a spot or two of algae growing in the shaded parts of the pool. We've been able to control those with brushing and raising the FC from 3 to 5 (at CYA = 30)

AnnaK

JohnT said:
You shouldn't have algae growing with a FC of 11. Are you sure it isn't tree pollen or some other kind of dust? The fact that it's around the returns doesn't say algae to me, but makes me think filter problems.

The TA test works differently in the presence of high chlorine.

Hey John,

Thanks for the help. It appears to be algae it is also under the stairs. I will try to post some pictures tonight when I get home.

Eddie

AnnaK said:
My wild guess is that the 2 drops of chlorine neutralizer that go into the 25 ml sample at the beginning of the TA test aren't enough for a FC = 23. You could try it with a dilution: mix 1/2 pool water with 1/2 distilled water and test 25 ml of that for TA, then multiply the result by 2.

As to the returning algae, I would brush the bottom and keep the pump running. We sometimes have algae on the return jet. I use a small nail brush and an old toothbrush to remove that. In high summer it's not unusual for there to be a spot or two of algae growing in the shaded parts of the pool. We've been able to control those with brushing and raising the FC from 3 to 5 (at CYA = 30)

AnnaK

Hi Annak,

Thanks for your help. We have been running our pump 24/7 since the first shock treatment. I will try the dilution method and also an old toothbrush tonight but last night I tried rubbing my finger across it and some gave off but some would not.

Eddie

What kind of stairs do you have? Algae under wedding cake steps is pretty common because water circulation is limited there. Some ways to control it are:

* When you backfill with water, put a nozzle on the hose and hang it behind the steps so a sharp stream of water enters there;

* When you add bleach, pour some of it directly behind the steps (between steps and pool wall);

* You can drill some additional holes into the sides of the steps. We added three 2" holes on each side of ours to allow for better circulation.

* When you brush the pool you can push water against the steps. If you've put more holes in them you add to the circulation.

Take a look at the Pool Issues link in my signature for photos.

AnnaK

Eddie,

Just to confirm what John and Lisa have already said......in the presence of high chlorine, the ALK test will frequently go to yellow instead of red. The test results are still perfectly valid, as the directions on the TF-100 indicate.

Here is a picture of the algae on the return jet and one of the pool bottom. I tried brushing the algae from the return jet and some did come off but even if I scraped with my fingernail it still would not remove all of it. Also my numbers that I got tonight are the same as they were this morning.

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

• Return-Jet.jpg
    Return-Jet.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 426
  • Pool-Bottom.jpg
    Pool-Bottom.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 426

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMO, we need to keep brushing and we need to keep the FC at shock level for a CYA = 80 until the test for CC = 0. You hadn't posted the CC reading previously. Per the Chlorine/CYA chart in the Stickies, shock level is 40% of CYA, or 32 ppm of FC in your system. It looks like running it at 23 ppm FC isn't enough for the amount of CYA in the water.

AnnaK

Brushing everything will help. It takes time for chlorine to break down bio films. Brushing helps the chlorine get in and breaks them down much more quickly.

AnnaK said:
Per the Chlorine/CYA chart in the Stickies, shock level is 40% of CYA, or 32 ppm of FC in your system. It looks like running it at 23 ppm FC isn't enough for the amount of CYA in the water.

At higher CYA levels the straight 40% rule isn't exactly right. Raising FC to 32 will speed the process up, but 21 is sufficient.

I have been brushing the pool the best I can every night. Last night I raised my FC level to 30 and this morning I woke up to a VERY dishearten situation. We now have about a two inch tear in the liner. :cry: Could this tear have been caused from raising the FC level? My numbers this morning were:

FC 30
CC .5

But of course now all my numbers are going to change due to the loss of water. Since I had to go to work today my brother is going to come by and see if he can patch the liner for me. If he can patch the liner should I do anything different before or during refilling of the pool? If the liner can not be patch my son is going to be very upset :cry: because we will be getting rid of the pool. These on going algae problem has just been to much of a hassle to justify dumping anymore big money into the pool.

Thanks,
Eddie

My brother just called me and said that he got the leak stopped. The liner and pool is only four years old. What is the average life span of a liner? Tonight when I get home I will start the refill process. How long after the pool is full should I wait until I take a new set of numbers? I have been fighting this algae problem for about two years and needles to say I gave the pool stores LOTS of money. I finally said there is got to be a better way so that is when I found this site. I am getting really tried of fighting and looking at that green swap. Please help me get this back to the pool that we used to love. I have been using Jason's Pool Calculator to determine the amount of bleach to add according to my FC and CYA level. Should I continue to use that calculator or should I just try to keep my FC level at a certain amount for a certain time period. I have also been following the sticky "Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparking Oasis" that was posted by Jason. Thanks to everyone for all the help they have provided so far and any help turning this pool around will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Eddie

My liner has a 15 year prorated warranty, whatever that means, with a free replacement the first 3 years. That makes me think the average lifespan is 4 - 5 years. It would depend a whole lot on use, exposure to sun and chemicals, care and maintenance, I'm thinking.

I understand your frustration with the ongoing algae battle but you CAN win this. Many of us have been in your place and we've all succeeded. The silver lining <GROAN> of the vinyl tear and loss of water is that your CYA will drop some when you've refilled. Let's take a look at the new numbers after the fresh water has circulated for at least an hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.