Replace pump - Pentair vs Starite

Jul 5, 2012
Hi,

I destroyed my antique Aquatron II 1/2 Hp pump while trying to fix it.

I'm purchasing a replacement tomorrow -

Pentair WHISPERFLO®
011512 WFE-3 115/208-230 11.2/6.0-5.6 3/4 1.67 1.25 UL 1, NSF 2 2 in. x 2 in. 41 F

Sta-Rite MAX-E-PRO®
P6E6D-205L 115/230 13.8/6.9 3/4 1.65 1.23 UL 1, NSF 2 2 in. x 2 in. 47 D

Any good / bad points between the two?

Thanks,

Ted

Local pool supply outfit only stocks single speed pumps...

They are also higher priced.

I could order a two speed for less than I can buy a single speed in town, would have to wait a couple of days.

I would wait a few days to end up with a 2-speed for less money than a local 1-speed and then have to option to save more money on power in the future ... but that is just me ;)

What is your power cost? Do you have a need for a bunch of different speeds/flow rates?

If you power is cheap and you have no rebates available for VS pumps, then it may take many years to save more $ on power using a VS vs a 2speed to break even on the initial cost differences.

Other question is whether you current pump is wired for 115V or 230V?

Depending on electricity cost (if its more than 40 cents KWH), a 2 speed is more cost effective than a variable speed. The price difference between a 2 speed and variable speed you won't recover the additional cost of a variable speed.

In North Dakota - fairly low power costs. 7.4 cents per kwh. Maybe up to 8.5 cents; one of the lowest in the nation.
Only real need flow changes is for vacuuming / cleaning versus circulation.
Currently wired for 230V, wiring not a real issue - I have to replace the breaker panel - chlorine stored in the pool house destroyed the panel, it's currently overheating.

So sounds like you could run on low speed and just manual flip it to high for vacuuming / backwashing.

The equivalent Whisperflo 2-speed (WFDS-24 or WFDS-3) is actually only 115V, but going larger would not make sense.

The 1HP Superflo (SF-N2-1A) might be a good alternative, it is a smaller pump, but you do not seem to need high flow. It is 230V and comes with unions for the pipe connections and includes a manual switch on the motor. Plus it is likely cheaper than the Whisperflo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Likely that 1/2HP Aquatron is smaller than any of the 2-speeds we are talking about (I could not quickly find any info).

So on high speed, you may have more flow than you used to, but on low you would have 1/2 the flow as on high, but only be using 1/4 the power.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.