New Pool Power/Grounding Question

May 16, 2013
I just got pool installed a month ahead of schedule. Now I need to get the power installed to the pump. I have a 100Amp service 30' away from the pump (Indoors). My pump is a Century SP1520Z1ESC 2.0hp, 115volts, 15.0Amp 60Hzs pump.

My plan is to run underground wire from pedestal (at pump) thru yard to garage (100 Amp service). Install a 20A Breaker in panel. on the pole was thinking about hard wiring the pump to an outdoor switch, rather than using the factory twistlock plug in a standard GFCI Outlet. Or would I be better off running the plug to an outlet and then running the outlet off a switch. Then I wouldn't have to cut the power cord off?
Should I install another small sub-panel on the pedestal or just run wire to (switch/Outlet).

Next Question is in regards to grounding. Should I do anything special for grounding. The pool is above ground. I read somewhere about running a ground cable around the perimeter of the pool underground?????????

Here is pic of pump and plug.

I would add the receptacle, but hardwiring is completely acceptable.

What you're really describing is bonding not grounding and yes, you need to run a #8 solid copper bare wire all around the pool and attach the loop to the pool in 4 places. That bonding loop also needs to extend to every metallic piece within 5' of the pool or that touches the pool water (pump, swg, heater, etc).

Bama Rambler said:
I would add the receptacle, but hardwiring is completely acceptable.

What you're really describing is bonding not grounding and yes, you need to run a #8 solid copper bare wire all around the pool and attach the loop to the pool in 4 places. That bonding loop also needs to extend to every metallic piece within 5' of the pool or that touches the pool water (pump, swg, heater, etc).

I checked my local county electrical rules and was not mentioned anywhere, nor did the pool company that installed the pool mention "bonding"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.