Submersible Pump Rate - Drain Pool

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all, Unfortunately, I need to drain my pool in order to have an aquatic expert come in to perform an analysis on damage to our fiberglass shell. Does anyone know the hourly rate that a 1/3 HP submersible pump will remove water (via standard 3/4" garden hose output)? Thanks!

With these small pumps a lot depends on the height you are pumping the water too, if your pool were on a hill and your hose ran down hill to its ultimate destination, they act as sort of a powered siphon , on the other hand if pumping up to ground level they will start off ok, and get slower and slower as the water level drops. Reviewing a couple of typical 1/3 HP models, show published flow curves of around 50 gpm at 0 ft head, 42gpm at 5 ft head, and around 32 gpm at 10 ft head.

Ike

p.s. hose size may effect back pressure here, typical hoses range from 1/2 inch for cheap hoses, 5/8 inch for most better consumer hoses, and 3/4 inch for high quality contractor grade hoses. At any given pressure a 3/4 inch hose will flow about twice as much water as a 1/2 inch. In the real world the shorter and larger diameter the hose the better, with a 50 ft 3/4 inch hose you would likely get around 20-25 gpm in the real world, with a 1/2 inch hose those numbers drop considerably, likely below 10 gpm

hi all, thanks for the replies. i will be using a 3/4" hose and the run will be approx 100'. that said, it will be a flat run for about 20', then mostly downhill after that. i need to have it drained by Noon on Saturday, so was going to start tonight (Thursday) around 8:00 PM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.