ProTeam 3" High Tech Tabs

linen said:
Most 3" tabs are 7-8 oz. Not that it makes a big difference, but the ones you linked to are only 95% trichlor, with the balance that essentially adds to your borate level.
Hmm. As I read over in Chemistry 201, it sounds like I want borates in the pool. No?

So I guess when figuring how much CYA these pucks will add to the water, I should take 95% of their weight when getting this value from the Pool Calculator. Does that sound about right?

Products that combine several "features" into one product are almost never a good idea to use. It is quite unusual that you actually want all of the effects that these combo products provide, yet you end up paying for the extra effects if you want them or not and often have to add additional chemicals or replace water to compensate for the unwanted side effects. And even when you do find a situation that calls for all of the effects at once, chances are it won't last for long and you will be left with a partial container of a chemical you will almost never use.

I can see that. I bought these tabs (and threw a few in the water) before finding this site. I am close to making the switch to BBB, but thought I could use these guys to boost my CYA a bit. As of yesterday, it is still < 30. I may just go ahead and buy some to get me where I need to be.

Would the CYA added from these tabs take ~week to show up on a test? I know most "stabilizers" do.

No, CYA from dichlor and trichlor shows up quickly (say an hour with the pump running after the product has fully dissolved). However, the test is not sensitive enough to be able to detect a change from a single tablet. The noise inherent in the test will drown out the addition of even a couple of tablets, though if you use enough it will eventually add up enough to be noticeable.

Ok, thanks.

Another stupid question. When using the pool calculator, a statement like this: Add 61 oz by weight or 64 oz by volume of stabilizer
What value should I be using when buying product? What is says on the bottle/box would be by weight? The same question applies for...say borax, baking soda, etc.

I was never any good at chemistry

Mr. Blue:

Most products are sold and labeled by weight, not by volume. You can dose by weight if you have a kitchen scale with a tare function. The tare function cancels out the weight of the container, measuring cup, etc. that you will place the product into for dosing. Therefore, the scale will display the weight of the product only and not the product + the container.

In most instances, dosing by volume is more convenient for most people since it does not require a scale. Use the volume amount if you will dose the product using a measuring cup.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.