In-ground Pool Renovation - IL

May 15, 2013
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and hope that with the wealth of knowledge here, I can find some sound guidance.

We currently live in a home which has a 21' x 28' in-ground, indoor pool. The enclosure and pool were added as an addition to the original house in 1986. We purchased the home in 1998 and enjoyed the pool for several years before equipment issues and financial difficulties forced us to close it down in 2002.

Things have turned around now and in 2010 we began the renovation process - beginning with the structure itself. There was water damage that needed to be repaired due to failure of the dehumidification system (which was never really installed correctly). We have installed new windows and doors, a correctly sized furnace, 2 new industrial dehumidification units, a proper air exchange system, and new filter and pool heater.

The structure is good to go, now we need to start work on the pool and pool deck. The pool has a 3 1/2' fiberglass wall with a rubber coping around the top edge which extends down to a concrete ledge. The concrete then slopes down to a depth of about 4' at the shallow end, and 9' at the deep end. There are floor drains in the deck and around the perimeter of the room. All plumbing is in working order. Pool has the skimmer (skimmer door is missing though) and 1 floor drain feeding the filter, and 3 returns. Pump and filter are in working order

Our challenges that need to be overcome are determining the best option for resurfacing the concrete inside the pool, which is currently painted but flaking badly; and preparing the surrounding deck and possibly a replacement coping. There are areas around the pool edges where the deck concrete has cracked (possibly due to a partial "pop" before we purchased the home), been patched, and is cracking again.

Do we re-paint, fiberglass, possibly install a vinyl liner? Is there an effective way to repair the deck, replace coping? Is it possible to install some type of thin pavers with a bullnose remodel coping to hide the original coping and cover the concrete.

I know these are a lot of questions with no visual reference, I will try to upload some pics tomorrow. Any input the great minds here can contribute would be greatly treasured.

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Here are some pics of the project as it stands.

azepybu7.jpg
mazybepy.jpg
5e4ezu7e.jpg
u2e2a9e2.jpg
7uje5eby.jpg
a6uhadum.jpg
a7u8u3u5.jpg
rusevu3e.jpg
gy8y5epy.jpg
sa3a6y6a.jpg
te5uba7e.jpg
byde8u4a.jpg
udypa6yp.jpg
ypynuzaz.jpg
yjysajuz.jpg

Thoughts from the talent pool (or would that be pool talent)?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368723544637.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368723544637.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 247
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368723566055.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368723566055.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 246
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368723582373.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368723582373.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 247
Here is a pic of the type of deck treatment we hope to achieve.

[attachment=0:35upfkq5]uploadfromtaptalk1368730511239.jpg[/attachment:35upfkq5]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368730511239.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368730511239.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 227
Look for a company called Thindex. That might be the product name, they make a 1 1/8" paver to cover existing decks. Tnemec makes a good epoxy paint to paint concrete. You may have to sandblast concrete to paint if you are not sure of the existing type of paint. Also there is www.ecosmartepoxysystems.com that could refinish the existing into a complete fiberglass shell.

harleysilo said:
Cool pool! Where Are you located? Do you have a budget in mind for the remaining repairs?

I am in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, about 55 miles from downtown. I am hoping to be able to finish things up for about $7500.00 or so.

Glad your project is getting there, I have been working on an indoor pool renovation project the last couple of years myself, new wood exterior siding along about 100 feet of perimeter in 2011, and new shingle roof on part and new metal roof on the rest in 2012 and all new water tight light fixtures, then so far this year new repainting the interior walls, new solar heater, new pool pump and perhaps a few smaller things, next will likely be new finish on the concrete floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.