Goldline High Salt/Amps error

Jul 11, 2007
I have a new Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 controller with the salt cell, which I installed about 10 days ago. The first or second time I used the spa, it gave me a "Check System" error message and said "High Salt/Amps". At the time, my salt level was 3400 ppm, which the manual says is the top end of the range. I figured maybe the heating of the water from the spa caused the level to rise or something to where it kicked off the salt cell, and sure enough after we turned off the heater the message went away on it's own.

Then tonight, it happened again. But this time, the salt level is at 3100 ppm, which should be fine, and I have had the heater off for an hour now and am still getting the message. Now the pump shut off right after the heater cooldown period, so that may be slowing down the rate at which the water cools, if that is indeed related to this problem.

What are some of the things I should check? I'm a little worried about placement of the cell, which is only about 12" away from the side of the heater. Also, the Pro Logic main panel itself is only about 12" away from the heater as well. Could there be a problem with the heat coming off the heater affecting these components?

mikester said:
I have a new Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 controller with the salt cell, which I installed about 10 days ago. The first or second time I used the spa, it gave me a "Check System" error message and said "High Salt/Amps". At the time, my salt level was 3400 ppm, which the manual says is the top end of the range. I figured maybe the heating of the water from the spa caused the level to rise or something to where it kicked off the salt cell, and sure enough after we turned off the heater the message went away on it's own.

Then tonight, it happened again. But this time, the salt level is at 3100 ppm, which should be fine, and I have had the heater off for an hour now and am still getting the message. Now the pump shut off right after the heater cooldown period, so that may be slowing down the rate at which the water cools, if that is indeed related to this problem.

What are some of the things I should check? I'm a little worried about placement of the cell, which is only about 12" away from the side of the heater. Also, the Pro Logic main panel itself is only about 12" away from the heater as well. Could there be a problem with the heat coming off the heater affecting these components?

I have a 3 yr old Aqualogic unit and it reads fairly steady salt levels while using the spa. However, sometimes when I engage the solar, I get super heated water through the cell which then spikes in temperature. The amps reading increases because of the conductivity change and if the amps goes above 8 amp, the unit will shut down to protect itself and signal a high salt reading. Goldline tech told me this.

I suspect that the problem you have is similar to my solar issue in that the water temp is causing the amps to go above 8 amps which triggers the high salt alarm. This is probably not hard to do when your salt level is fairly high. Next time you heat up the spa, watch the amps reading and see if it goes above 8.

I keep my salt level near the lower level to avoid the solar problem I was experiencing and prevent high amps error. You might consider this although it does require that some of the water be replaced.

Also from what I understand from a Goldline tech, the Goldline SWG units use amps, volts and water temp to come up with a salt reading. However, the water temp sensor seems to be fairly slow at reacting to water temp changes so if you get quick change, the instant salt reading will sometimes change but then settle back to where it should be.

Thanks for the info. Next time I use the spa, I'll watch the amps - I bet that's the problem. Last night, I restarted the pump since the error never cleared on it's own, and within seconds of the cooler water going through the cell the error message cleared.

I read some other posts that said the Goldline units can read 500-600 ppm too low, so my salt levels might really be more like 3700-3800 ppm. I'll test it with strips tonight to verify.

Hopefully that's all it is, and an easy fix as I can just let my salt levels fall normally until in a better range.

You can also reset the cell through the diagnostics menu but I am not exactly sure how to do it with the Prologic. On mine it is in the diagnostic menu where it shows amps, volts and instant salt. Pressing the + button on the controller will reset the cell and start generating again. This should be in the manual.

I have a Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 controller with the salt cell. I recently replaced the salt cell (Hayward Goldline GLX-CELL-15W). My old cell consistently had a low salt reading and I continued to add salt to keep it generating salt. Once I replaced the salt cell, it quickly gave me the "Check System" error message and said "Chlorinator Off/High Salt/Amps" error message. I have been draining water and replacing it with fresh water. I have taken samples to the pool store and the salt level has come down from over 5000 PPM to 3500 PPM. But, the "Chlorinator Off/High Salt/Amps" error message has never come off. I have reset the average salt ready thru the Diagnostic setting Menu. Today I went into the Configuration Lock menu to ensure the Salt Cell type did not get reset some how. It show T-15. I also saw the readings that showed 40.62V 10.0A and 1900PPM (attempted to add picture but could not see get it to post). So, I am very confused on how to get this corrected. Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.