AA Treatment and Cold Water

May 15, 2013
When treating with aa how much does water temp effect the results. I am working on some two year old stains I have added 10 lbs of aa it seems to be working but it is slow. It is a 40000 gal vinyl pool. Can i just leave it on circulate until the stains lift? Will the aa stay effective for a few days? My chlorine was at 0 when I started. I don't care what the pool looks like it is too cold to swim at the moment. Will the ascorbic acid stay present if I simply let it circulate? I have seen some positive signs but in general the rust does not seem to be coming off the liner very quickly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Cold water can dramatically slow the process of stain removal. Generally it just takes longer, but works eventually. The AA will keep working for some time as long as you don't add any chlorine.

Seems like the stain is lifting slowly. The dark band at the waterline seems to be the most effected (40% gone)the lighter staining below the water line does not seem to be fading as much. Should I keep going with the aa treatment or should I add the sequestering agent? Will that work to draw off more of the staining? Or should I just keep letting the aa do its thing the water is about 45 degrees at best,

Ok so I have given it a full week. 40 k pool. I added ten pounds of aa and let it run for a week. The dark ring around the pool is now 50% or more gone which means it is 50% or less still there. There is still visible rusty stains on the pool side walls I have not seem them fade much at all as a result of the aa. I have treated it with Metal Magnet 4 quarts and it has run for two days with that in it. I am into it for $120 for aa and $65 for the metal magnet and that id just this year! ........ The pool is murky not chlorinated and running 24/7 . What do I do now? Treat with aa again or vacuum and clean the pool chlorinate and get the pool in good shape and then try again? I am really discouraged I am trying to do everything right and I am just not getting results for my efforts. !!! HELP PLEASE! Anyone who can!

Re: Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Ok so I have given it a full week. 40 k pool. I added ten pounds of aa and let it run for a week. The dark ring around the pool is now 50% or more gone which means it is 50% or less still there. There is still visible rusty stains on the pool side walls I have not seen them fade much at all as a result of the aa. I have treated it with Metal Magnet 4 quarts and it has run for three days with that in it. I am into it for $120 for aa and $65 for the metal magnet and that is just this year! ........ The pool is murky not chlorinated and running 24/7 . What do I do now? Treat with aa again or vacuum and clean the pool chlorinate and get the pool in good shape and then try again? I am really discouraged I am trying to do everything right and I am just not getting results for my efforts. !!! HELP PLEASE! Anyone who can!

You should start adding chlorine at this point and get the pool stabilized before trying again. It has already been quite a while and the odds of algae developing are going up. Hopefully you can still get the water back to normal without having to shock.

You should add chlorine 2 ppm at a time, repeating as often as practical (but not more than once per hour) until you can again hold an FC level. The key is to raise the FC level very slowly, giving yourself time to add more sequestrant at the slightest sign that the stains are getting worse.

Before trying AA again, you should retest the remaining stains with a vitamin C tablet and see if that removes the remaining stains. If so, you either didn't use enough AA the first time, or the PH got too high, or the water was too cold, or something. But it is also possible that you have now removed the metal stain and the remaining stain is something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.