Doughboy Sand Filter Problem

May 15, 2013
My wife and I recently bought a home which came with a really nice above ground pool and deck. Never had either one of us owned or maintained a pool before. Our problem seems to be the sand filter. I've noticed when I connect the vacuum brush with the hose through the skimmer everything I'm cleaning off the bottom of the pool is being shot right back into the pool through the return. Is this because of a bad sand filter? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks In Advance!

Welcome to tfp, jguajardotx :wave:

Is the filters valve set to "filter" when you are vacuuming?

I am not very familiar with doughboy filters, but sometimes when a filter is being bypassed by a lot of debris the spider gasket on the multiport valve is leaking and needs replacing.

Other possible causes for excessive bypassing debris are a channeled filter, or a broken lateral.

Thank You! I look forward to using the forum and maybe giving some insight one day when I'm a little more seasoned as well. Yes the valve is set to filter when I'm vacuuming. I will admit the handle on the valve assembly looks like it's had better days though. It is really loose and does not lock into position either. I'm wondering if my next move should be replacing the entire assembly and spider gasket?

The pool holds 8,000 gallons. I think I'm going to give the whole loosening the sand at bottom of the filter method a try before replacing the valve or entire filter. Unfortunately I won't be able to mess with it until next week but I will keep you posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.