Pork Tenderloin

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Tonight was our first evening outdoor dinner and swimming for the season. Thought I'd share tonight's recipe. :)

Dinner tonight was that most wonderful cut of the pig, the tenderloin. We had two tenderloins, about 3 lb of meat.

Prepped the meat by removing the silver skin and back strap. I know some folks like to leave some fat in, I try to remove as much as I can get to. IMO, the fat soaks up the marinade and spices more quickly, and deprives the meat...but that may just be me wanting to sound like I have a clue. ;)

Started with a rub. Used the "Medium Rub" from the folks at High Sierra Barbecue. (As a side note, let me just say this. Their sauce and spices make up for that web page. Really. In fact, the original BBQ sauce is, imo, the finest I've ever encountered anywhere in the world.) Let the meat sit in that rub for about 4 hours, sealed in a plastic bag.

Next, a marinade of :

1 cup Soy Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup onion...I used minced onion in a spice jar, but onion powder or diced onions would work too.
1/4 cup garlic...again, I used store bought minced garlic, but just 3-4 cloves prepped however you prefer.
1 tbsp allspice...just something for a tiny bit of kick.
Enough oil (I use EVOO, but it's not required...whatever you have is fine) to give the whole thing a bit of "texture" so the marinade would cling to the meat a bit, rather than just wash off it.

Mixed everything up, made sure the sugar was dissolved, and then poured it into the ziplock bag with the tenderloin. Pressed air out, and sealed the bag. gave it a 20 hour soak, turned it 4-5 times through the afternoon and next morning, just to cover everything.

The grilling :

Prepped a foil bag with some hickory chips, which went into the coals once hot.

I grabbed a small tin foil pan at the store...9x11 or so...to use as a drip pan. Once the charcoal was ready, I shoved everything to the edges, put the drip pan in the middle of it all, and then put the tenderloins over the drip pan. This cuts down on flare ups, AND keeps the meat off the direct heat from the charcoal, so it reduces charring of the outside.

Covered the grill, and let it go. Took about 30-40 minutes and 2 turns to get the meat up to 150 degrees. This got a nice browned exterior, no worrying pink in the middle, and left the inside moist and juicy.

Sliced the suckers into 1-1.5" slabs, and PIGGED OUT! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.