Cutting liner for wide mouth skimmer

May 11, 2011
I am installing a 28ft round Matrix and have a question about the skimmer. The skimmer is a wide mouth and has a butterfly gasket. The install guide says to install the skimmer with the butterfly gasket over the wall and liner which means I would need to cut the liner before installing the skimmer. Is this safe to do? Most people say to install the skimmer and then cut the liner but that isn't what my instructions say. Can I cut the liner first without causing damage?

Thanks,

Make sure you fill the pool up 1/2 to 2/3, you want to let the weight of the water pull the liner into it's final place before cutting that hole.
If you cut the liner and then fill the pool you risk the water pulling the liner down and exposing a gap.

The pool is already 2/3rds full. The guy who is bringing the water told me he would fill within 2" of the skimmer hole and stop and let me install the skimmer and finish adding the water. Have anybody cut the liner before installing the skimmer?

With the butterfly gasket that you have you need to either take a box cutter or razor blade and slice the gasket in two OR try to find 2 replacement gaskets of the right size. Then if you place one gasket (or one half of the butterfly gasket) on the inner side and one on the outer side of the liner, you will now be able to install the skimmer before you cut the liner.

Man, I wish I could remember how I did mine because I suspect yours is the exact same.
I know I didn't actually cut the liner without the skimmer being on as I cut the liner along the skimmer edge - not the pool wall opening.

Going off of my foggy memory I think I filled the pool up quite high, stopped, put the face plate on the inside and poked a couple of small holes thru a few screw slots and then secured the back on, so basically the front/back are together and the liner is still in.
Then I believe I cut liner along the skimmer plate, took both sides back off, put the gasket on and then put the front/back on using the same screw slots and then proceeded to poke holes thru the remaining slots and put the screws in.

I'm pretty sure that's how I did mine, it's been a few years.

Reactions: Arkansmith
cramar said:
Man, I wish I could remember how I did mine because I suspect yours is the exact same.
I know I didn't actually cut the liner without the skimmer being on as I cut the liner along the skimmer edge - not the pool wall opening.

Going off of my foggy memory I think I filled the pool up quite high, stopped, put the face plate on the inside and poked a couple of small holes thru a few screw slots and then secured the back on, so basically the front/back are together and the liner is still in.
Then I believe I cut liner along the skimmer plate, took both sides back off, put the gasket on and then put the front/back on using the same screw slots and then proceeded to poke holes thru the remaining slots and put the screws in.

I'm pretty sure that's how I did mine, it's been a few years.

That sounds like a good idea. I think I will do it your way. Thanks for the input.

Also, my pool was supposed to come with a double sided vinyl gasket to protect the wall edge at the skimmer and return outlet.I didn't get one and was wondering if I could do the install without it. Here is the excerpt from the installation manual.
"Next, locate your safety envelope, take out the double sided vinyl
gasket and install skimmer and return gaskets as shown on included instruction sheet. THIS MUST BE DONE! You
must also periodically inspect the gaskets for leaks to validate the warranty."

Not sure about the return gaskets, mine came with them so I used them, personally I think they should be used.

I had a heck of a time getting that return port leak free, I think I over tightened a bit, I had to remove the gasket, dry it out and reinstall. Still has a very very slight drip leak, not enough to make me do anything about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.