New BBB trainee, need a plan for this year

May 13, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm a new member to the forum and have read a bunch of information on the forum and gone through Pool School. I thought I knew what I was doing, but clearly, I was mistaken. :)

I have struggled with green algae the last two years and at the end of last season, we had a Mesh Safety cover installed and I closed the pool for the first time by myself. (After watching the guy close it before and doing much of the work myself, really all he did was blow out the lines for me and put the cover on, although still charged me 85-250 dollars... Sigh)

After peeking at the crystal clear water much of winter, I cracked the side of the cover open to peek in again, more freaking green algae. It's mostly up on the sides of the pool, closest to the cover, but it's still pretty nasty.

Just got my TF-100 in the mail today and was all excited to get this season started. Here are my results.

FC=0
CC=0
TC=0
pH=6.8
TA=60
CH=200
CYA=0? I could still see the dot after putting all my water in the cylinder. This was especially was a big surprise considering I've been a user of 3" Leslie's Chlorine Tabs until this past season. I was really expecting it to be off the charts.

So, now I'm at a point where I don't know where to start. Which value do I work on first?

Planning on pulling the cover off on Saturday and beginning this long process. I will definitely include pics if anyone wants to see.

Thanks,
Mark

Get it full and start it circulating. Then take another set of test results after an hour or so. You might have a layer of rainwater above the pool water since your cover is mesh.

That said. if the readings hold true, add some borax to raise pH (or pH increaser/soda ash if you already own some), add CYA to about 30 and let it hang there in an orphaned sock in front of a return, and hit it with bleach. Instructions are in Pool School under the How-to perform the shock process.

Once the water is clear, the algae is gone, and you pass the overnight loss test and the CC test, let the FC drop below 10 and take another set of readings. Then fine tune. Getting rid of the algae is the hard part. Balancing the rest can be done in an afternoon, no problem.

^ What they said.

One thing to keep in mind, especially if the shock process is taking considerably longer than you expect...The CYA going to 0 over the winter is primarily caused by bacterial growth that can consume the CYA. It is not common, but it can happen, especially if FC stays at 0 ppm for some time. The bacteria can convert the CYA to either (1) ammonia or (2) nitrogen gas. Hope for the latter. If it turns out that the microbes converted the CYA to ammonia, it will take prodigious amounts of chlorine to get rid of it and thus the shock process can take longer than if you were just fighting algae. If they turned the CYA into nitrogen gas, then that will have little to no effect on the length of the shock process.

Richard320 said:
That said. if the readings hold true, add some borax to raise pH (or pH increaser/soda ash if you already own some), add CYA to about 30 and let it hang there in an orphaned sock in front of a return, and hit it with bleach.

I had a question on this. Two things actually. First, the CYA. I've heard a few things so far, put it in the sock in the skimmer, dump it slowly in the skimmer, or as you said, hang it in front of the return jet. Which is the best?

Secondly, once I start brushing the algae and mixing it up, my DE filter is going to clog up pretty fast. But it also says not to backwash when putting CYA in the pool. Should I just take the filter apart and spray off the fingers instead of backwashing?

Thanks so much for all the info. Went to Walmart tonight and found the bleach section completely empty. But talked to a nice stock person who found me the "Value Pack" of 3 bottles!

markc99 said:
Richard320 said:
That said. if the readings hold true, add some borax to raise pH (or pH increaser/soda ash if you already own some), add CYA to about 30 and let it hang there in an orphaned sock in front of a return, and hit it with bleach.

I had a question on this. Two things actually. First, the CYA. I've heard a few things so far, put it in the sock in the skimmer, dump it slowly in the skimmer, or as you said, hang it in front of the return jet. Which is the best?

Secondly, once I start brushing the algae and mixing it up, my DE filter is going to clog up pretty fast. But it also says not to backwash when putting CYA in the pool. Should I just take the filter apart and spray off the fingers instead of backwashing?

Thanks so much for all the info. Went to Walmart tonight and found the bleach section completely empty. But talked to a nice stock person who found me the "Value Pack" of 3 bottles!
You have captured the essence of the sock method entirely. If you poured the granules directly into the skimmer, they would get trapped in the filter and you would lose them all when you backwashed. By keeping them out of the filter, you can backwash without losing any measurable CYA. You can also give the sock a squeeze to speed it along and tell when it's done dissolving.

Welp, I just pulled the cover off and it was a little worse then I thought. I'm posting two pictures because I'm not sure if I'm dealing with standard green algae or some other type.

DE filter is soaking right now, so I should have the water circulating by tomorrow. Attaching pics for your enjoyment. :(

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 162
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the pics :-D

Well, there are a gazillion kinds of algae and you got at least one of them. One thing that holds true is that chlorine will kill it :-D

Good for you for getting the TF100. Your pool will be beautiful soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This going to be fun to watch! (I can say that because I do not have to do any of the work).

Start shopping for bleach now. Go ahead and get as much as you can carry and then some.

It can be done. It will take time and POP(Pool owner patience)!

Keep the pics coming with any updates and questions!

Well, more progress. I have the sock attached and I'm getting the CYA into the pool. (Photo attached, thought you guys would get a kick out my McGuyver job there.)

After running through the Pool Calculator, it told me to put 80oz by weight of soda ash in to get my pH up to 7.5. Apparently I should have listened and took another test after running the pump, cause I ended up with a pH of 8.2-8.5.

SOOOO, I just got done putting 32oz's of Muriatic Acid in. I'm going to let the pump run all night and test pH again in the morning before making any more pH changes.

I ran to Walmart again tonight and bought them out of Value Pack's of bleach. So I have 12 gallons on hand to begin attacking the algae with all my soldiers tomorrow.

Also, TA has risen to 80 without me adding anything to change that particular test.

More to come...

Attachments

• sock.JPG
    sock.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 125
I believe the TA test is +/- 10 ppm, so your results fall within range. If your TA is 70, the first test was minus 10 ppm, or 60. The second test was +10 ppm, or 80. I think this math adds up, but I'm not 100% positive because I'm tired. Anyone else care to confirm?

markc99 said:
Well, more progress. I have the sock attached and I'm getting the CYA into the pool. (Photo attached, thought you guys would get a kick out my McGuyver job there.)
HA! Love it!

JohnN said:
I believe the TA test is +/- 10 ppm, so your results fall within range. If your TA is 70, the first test was minus 10 ppm, or 60. The second test was +10 ppm, or 80. I think this math adds up, but I'm not 100% positive because I'm tired. Anyone else care to confirm?

I agree with this. Your TA is fine for the shock process. You can fix it later, don't worry about it for now.

Just re-tested pH, it's between 7.2 and 7.5, so I'm beginning the shock process. Just dumped 302 oz of bleach in the pool. Then starting the re-test, dump, brush, re-test, dump, backwash, re-test, dump, backwash phase. :shock:

Soon, I shall have my clear pool back.

I have begun the shock process. I brought the FC up to 10 according to the PoolCalculator. I tested 30 mins later, and the level had dropped to 4 already. I put enough back into bring it back up to 10 and began the brushing process. I attached a picture halfway through the process. BEWARE....THE ABYSS of the deep end.

I brushed, which took ~30 minutes and tested again, the level was at 13.5. I'm going to wait another 30 minutes and test it again. Probably will have to backwash the DE by that point.

Attachments

• The abyss.JPG
    The abyss.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 96
We love pictures! :goodjob:

Don't be too hasty about backwashing. You'll lose a lot of water if you get fanatical. Just watch the gauge and do it when it rises 25%.

You might try aiming one of the return jets down to stir up the deep end a little. I had to use channellocks to loosen the collar so I could move the eyeball.

Richard320 said:
We love pictures! :thumbsup:

Don't be too hasty about backwashing. You'll lose a lot of water if you get fanatical. Just watch the gauge and do it when it rises 25%.

You might try aiming one of the return jets down to stir up the deep end a little. I had to use channellocks to loosen the collar so I could move the eyeball.

I haven't had to backwash it yet, so far just bumping it has been good enough. The initial "clean" psi was 21, so if my math is correct, if I can't bump it down past 26, I should backwash. Right?

Tested again, FC is at 11 now. Going to wait an hour and then test and return to shock level if needed.

markc99 said:
I haven't had to backwash it yet, so far just bumping it has been good enough. The initial "clean" psi was 21, so if my math is correct, if I can't bump it down past 26, I should backwash. Right?

Tested again, FC is at 11 now. Going to wait an hour and then test and return to shock level if needed.
Correct.

Have you tried aiming an eyeball? Or is the water too cold to stick your arm in?
rotfl.gif

Richard320 said:
markc99 said:

Correct.

Have you tried aiming an eyeball? Or is the water too cold to stick your arm in?
rotfl.gif

I moved my CYA teabag to the shallow end and aimed the deep end eye to shoot down. We'll see how well it mixes... I usually try to aim them both in a way as to create a semi whirlpool to get the dirt to settle in the middle. I only had success doing that one time though... :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.