Two Speed Hayward Pump and Filter

When our pool was built, the pool builder told us that Hayward sent a two speed pump motor rather than the single speed pump he ordered. He said that was good for us. However, we just let it run all last summer on the higher speed.
This summer we would like to try to run it on the lower speed for at least part of the time. We have a swg and a heat pump for our 18 x 30 L shaped pool. No, spa or hot tub. We have a double main drain and two skimmers and two returns and two returns in the wall of the 8 foot wide stairs.

Is there anything I should know or be aware of before we try to run the pump at the lower speed. I ran the filter for about 10 hours a day last year which was probably more than I needed. The pool has been crystal clear always.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks

10 hours per day is way more than what you need. A typical pool requires around 4 hours per day. On low speed, you can probably get away with less than 6 hours per day.

Issues on low speed are usually related to the lower flow rate. So the heater may not work and skimmers may not work as well, especially with two, so if you get a lot of surface debris, you may want to run part time on high speed. Did they install a two speed timer?

Words or wisdom:
Run on low speed and save yourself some $ on electricity. You likely only need high speed when backwashing {or maybe for the skimming and heater as Mark mentioned}

It will move 1/2 the water on low speed, but use 1/4 the power. So even if you ran 24/7 on low speed (not likely required) you would save money over last year.

Everything should be fine, and if it isn't fine at least nothing will be damaged. A variety of things might have problems with the lower flow rate, but chances are that everything will be fine. Possible problem areas include flow too low the the heater, flow too low for the skimmer(s), flow too low for the SWG. Again, none of those are really likely, but can't be ruled out either.

I thought I might be running it more than I needed to. I am definitely going to be running it less this year on either speed. The pool builder said the heat pump might actually work better with the water going through there more slowly but he wasn't sure.
I think I will try it. The swg isn't on yet because they just shocked it to open it. Tomorrow I will turn that on and see what happens. As long as it won't damage anything I think it is worth a try. The electric bills were a little crazy last year and it was mostly filter because we didn't need the pump too much.

We don't have a lot to skim, not too many leaves or anything so if the skimmers were less effective it won't be too much of an issue.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't come to this site for advice. It never fails to help.
Nancy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.