New from CT

May 15, 2013
Ct
Hello all !

I came across this forum while searching on any natural ways to keep my pool clean. In my search I found the Ionizer systems, but then upon further research, they dont sound like the way to go. I guess I am stuck with Chlorine? I am reducing the amount of chemicals I am around so I was hoping to find a greener way to clean the pool but It dosnt seem possible.

Ill read through your very interesting information here and your test kit info. In the past I seem to be using alot of chemicals and $$ and I see many say they dont spend alot, so I must be doing something wrong. This will be my third summer with my pool. Its inground and I think 10,000 gallons? Its a funny kidney shaped pool. I usually am able to keep it crystal clear, but I seem to be spending alot of money. Ill find all of my filter info and post it. Its a DE filter and last year I seemed to be taking the filter out and washing it way too often.

Okay, I guess thats it for now.
Thanks
Diypoolmom

I guess I am stuck with Chlorine?
Well, one way to look at it is we are all blessed that chlorine is available to sanitize our pools. Hands down, it is the finest sanitizer there is for a pool.

Cost is reasonable or cheap compared to other sanitizers. Effectiveness is outstanding...you can keep a crystal clear pool with concentrations in the very low parts per million. Most people drink more chlorine in a day than they will ingest in a summer of swimming. It has virtually no unwanted side effects in the pool. Last, it is able to hold a residual unlike many other oxidizers that disappear VERY quickly.

You'll have to decide, but you will not find a better product for what you want to do.

Welcome! :wave:

I use Muriatic Acid, Bleach, and Trichlor pucks when I go on vacation. That's it. I suppose I could chance it and omit the trichlor, but realistically, I don't think you can reduce the amount of chemicals you are around much more than that. And my pool is super clear. Toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails while standing on the deck clear.

You'll learn this in Pool School, but...did you know that that heavy chlorine smell you associate with public pools is not really the chlorine? It is combined chloramines, when the bleach starts oxidizing dead skin and suntan lotion and whatever else people bring into the pool on them. A sanitary pool with enough FC won't smell.

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

I use Muriatic Acid, Bleach, and Trichlor pucks when I go on vacation. That's it. I suppose I could chance it and omit the trichlor, but realistically, I don't think you can reduce the amount of chemicals you are around much more than that. And my pool is super clear. Toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails while standing on the deck clear.

You'll learn this in Pool School, but...did you know that that heavy chlorine smell you associate with public pools is not really the chlorine? It is combined chloramines, when the bleach starts oxidizing dead skin and suntan lotion and whatever else people bring into the pool on them. A sanitary pool with enough FC won't smell.

Hey there ! I came across that while reading.........about the smell, I did not know that !!! Ill have to look into Muriatic Acid.

Thanks

Blessedwithfivekids said:
Hi. I'm from ct also! Way up north. This is my second year with the pool and I love the bbb method. I have a swg and it is super easy to keep it clean. Is your pool open? We have been swimming since spring break, and can't wait for the warm up tomorrow!

Ill have to look up what 'BBB' and "swg" mean. You have been swimming ??? wow, Nope, my cover is still on. I have been spending my spring fixing my grass! Now my grass is fixed I can focus on the pool. You must have a heater? I do but its old and broken. Are you in the Litchfield hills or North East corner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blessedwithfivekids said:
I'm up in North Granby. We have a solar cover and a heat pump. Once the water hit 80 the solar cover kept it warm even last night we only lost 4 degrees and I was cold enough to snow! Are you up here too?

Ahhh, your up in the center. Im down below Waterbury. I was thinking about a solar cover, but not sure. I dont want to do the roller kind. I was going to look at the smaller kind that you throw on top of the water.

I updated my signature with my pool info, I need to get you guys more. I dont know the size. Its an amoeba shaped pool. Ill measure the lenght to at least get some idea. It is 3' at the low end and goes to 8'. I dont know the date of install since I bought the house and it was there already. I just took the cover off, ewwwwwwwwwww. Time to get the test kit and get my pool up to speed so the kids can use it.