Solar Controller and Above Ground Pool

WCunha

May 31, 2012
Northwest IN
Hello Everyone,

I have a 27' round ABG and a Hayward 2 speed pump with a three way mechanical switch that is mark Low-Off-High. Everything was purchased from The Great Escape two years ago. I want to add a Hayward GL-235 solar controller two automatically switch the panels on or bypass them. I run my pump on low speed 24/7 but I believe I read somewhere that the solar heater would work better if the pump was on high speed. Is there a way to have the controller turn the pump to high speed when it calls for heat or should I just leave the pump on low speed?

Thanks, Wade

It depends where the solar panels are. If they are on the ground, low speed should work fine. But if they are up on a roof you will probably need to use high speed.

You can set up a solar controller to switch to high speed, but it takes some extra equipment. To switch speeds you need a SPDT relay, while most solar controllers come with DPST relays. Depending on the solar controller, you will probably need to purchase a compatible relay, which make take a little research to find the right one.

Since the GL-235 only has a SPST contact I'd use a external SPDT or DPDT relay to switch the pump from low to high. Since you run it 24/7 it would only switch when heat was called for and drop back to low when the Gl-235 cut out.

The solar panels are on the ground with about 20' 1-1/2" PVC run to them.

Do you know a source where I could find the wiring schematics to switch the relay and wire the pump. If I get confused I do have a brother in law that is an electrician.

Thanks again, Wade

My solar controller a Hayward Aqua Solar model AQ-SOl_LV-TC has a connector for an optional booster pump relay, I used this connector mated with a RIB2401SBC relay to do what you are talking about.

Ike

p.s. one nice thing about the RIB relays is they are already in a handy standard sized electrical box and will work on a fairly wide range of low voltage both AC and DC, as well as a separate 120V connection (not used in my application) otherwise it was just a matter of scavenging a 2 pin header connector that would mate with the controller board from an old computer fan and a couple of butt splices. (contact ratings on the RIB relay are similar to the Hayward GLX-Relay)

The big question is on low do you get enough flow through the panels for them to be cool to the touch (not more than a few degrees warmer than pool water)? If the panels are warm to the touch then they don't have enough flow.

On an average day when I run my panels on low I get a 9.5 degree rise between the pool water and the water returning from the panels...ideally that should be much lower. On high I get more like 4.5F delta which is more efficient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
linen said:
The higher the flowrate through the panels the more heat you will get in the pool (to an extent).

BUT ...
It will cost you more to run on high speed.

It is a trade off ... electrical cost vs. amount of heat added to pool.
True in terms of efficiency, but at least up here all we want is heat in the pool :twisted: ...electricity does not get considered, when the water is 60F

linen said:
jblizzle said:
linen said:
The higher the flowrate through the panels the more heat you will get in the pool (to an extent).

BUT ...
It will cost you more to run on high speed.

It is a trade off ... electrical cost vs. amount of heat added to pool.
True in terms of efficiency, but at least up here all we want is heat in the pool :twisted: ...electricity does not get considered, when the water is 60F
I'm in northwest Indiana and we don't get as cold as you but yeah more heat in the pool. Well I guess I can always try it on low speed and if I want to add the relay later I could. I'm just not sure how its wired. I would assume the low-off-high switch would have to be removed and the relay would get wired to each side of the pump to either run it on low or high. Just wish I could find the wiring for it.

You would wire the low speed to the NC (normally closed) contact and the high speed to the NO (normally open) contact and the power from the solar controller contact would go to the hot side of the relay coil. Neutral would go to the neutral side of the solar controller, relay coil, and the pump.

I can come up with a wiring diagram for a common relay if you need it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.