Injecting Stabilizer via the Clorinator

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
Couldn't find an answer to this on the board, so I thought I'd let the experts speak to this.

My CYA is down. Way down. It won't register on using the sight glass, so it's either down to nothing or, like I read last night, levels below 20 won't register at all at times. At any rate, I got some stabilizer and put 3 lbs in a cotton sock and put it in my skimmer, but it seems to take up most of the room on top of the skimmer basket.

Is it feasible to put it into the clorinator since I'm not using tabs at this time. Seems like the perfect solution, unless someone can tell me why not.

:?:

I read most recommend hanging that sock in front of a return in your pool

If you aren't going to backwash your filter for the next week or so you could pour it in the skimmer and let it dissolve in your sand filter.

I don't see why you couldn't utilize your chlorinator (I've never had one so that might not be a good idea, no idea why).

Pointyhead said:
Couldn't find an answer to this on the board, so I thought I'd let the experts speak to this.

My CYA is down. Way down. It won't register on using the sight glass, so it's either down to nothing or, like I read last night, levels below 20 won't register at all at times. At any rate, I got some stabilizer and put 3 lbs in a cotton sock and put it in my skimmer, but it seems to take up most of the room on top of the skimmer basket.

Is it feasible to put it into the clorinator since I'm not using tabs at this time. Seems like the perfect solution, unless someone can tell me why not.

:?:
Why not just use trichlor pucks, then? Saves adding bleach, too!

I used some cheap pantyhose and filled the legs with granular stabilizer. Initially hung it in front of the return jet in the deep end, once it was almost gone I let it sit in the skimmer basket (tied to my pool fence so it didnt cause a vacuum).

One question though - if you let it dissolve using one of these methods, is it immediately (or within a day or two) measurable in the water, or do you need to wait 7+ days like if you dumped it into your filter?

And one step further: can you safely backwash without losing any of it at that point (aside from what is lost through the actual water being drained out)?

Oops! Mine is already reading almost 60 and I just added it Saturday. Looks like I might end up with a little too much CYA (I think my CYA reagent from last season were bad and reading way low in comparison to reality)

I see a (very) partial drain and refill in my future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.