What are backwash steps with a DE filter and Ecostar pump?

May 12, 2013
I replaced all my old equipment with new Hayward equipment a week ago. The pool is being broken in now as it was replastered. The water is green with algae and I assume it is clogging the new DE filter as pressure is around 20psi and the flow is nearly non-existent. What are the steps to backwash?

The equipment I have are hayward 4028 DE filter with multi-port valve, and Hayward Ecostar VS pump.

I read somewhere the pump shouldn't be more than 2000 rpm during backflush. When I shut the pump and turn it back on, it goes through the priming startup at 3400 rpm. I have to shut the pump in order to switch the valve to backwash.

Does anyone have experience with these and can outline the exact steps I need to follow?
Also, how much DE do I need to put through the skimmer once done backwashing?

Thanks!

Re: What are backwash steps with a DE filter and Ecostar pum

The label on the side of the filter tells you how much DE to add, you usually add 80% of that original amount after each backwash.

You turn off the pump, set the valve to backwash, backwash for a couple minutes till sightglass runs clear, turn pump off, set to rinse, 30 seconds on rinse outta do, off, set to filter, pump on, add the DE. I'm not familiar with the rpm issue so I have nothing to add there... sorry!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.