Finally opening pool! Would love some input on my results.

Elle

May 16, 2007
Northern NY
Hello.

I'm believing that the weather is going to get warmer here in Northern NY someday so we opened our pool this weekend. It's a slow process. We don't use a cover in the winter so the pool was a nice dark shade of green. We've been adding bleach like crazy and it's now a milky aqua color. It doesn't seem to be clearing beyond that.

24' AG Pool

Here are my results tonight after adding 2 jugs of 174 oz bleach.

Chlorine: darker than 5
TA: 50
PH: 7.2
CYA: reads less than 30

I'm not sure what else? I don't have a fancy test kit so I've just kind of been eyeballing it. We've been backwashing at the proper times and brushing as much of the pool as I can reach. It's freezing here and we haven't had much sun lately so I'm hoping I can get on top of the algae.

Any help and thoughts would be awesome. Thanks :)

Hi Elle and welcome to the forum. :-D

Getting a good test kit is the BEST investment we made in our pool. I suggest the TF Test kit sold by one of our members, duraleigh. Link in my sig.

Once you have a good test kit, you will have control over your water!

Here are two more stickies that should help:

"ABC's of pool water..."by duraleigh: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4953

and "BBB...Or What are all these chemicals?" by Waterbear: http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=94

Thanks for the information. This is actually the 2nd year we have been doing the BBB method. It's really great! I see neighbors with the floating chlorine thing and I want to tell them to stop using it etc.

So I need to break down and spend the money on a better kit huh? It might take me a bit but I will try and convince the husband to spend the money on it.

I'll be back in a few. I'm headed out to check the readings this morning and to add some more bleach.

ETA: I just tested again now and the chlorine level actually held through the night. I added more to get it higher. There is still stuff in the bottom center of the pool and I can barely reach it with the brush. I need to get the vac out and see if that gets it out faster. Color is still a very milky aqua, I can't see the bottom yet.

So I talked to my dh and he said go ahead and order the test kit. So I did just now. Please tell me it's worth the price???

Pool still looks the same and I'm trying to keep on top of the bleach but it's tough when I don't know exactly where I'm at with it. That shouldn't be an issue next week when the test come right??

I vacuumed the pool today and it got green inside where the pump is fast. I had to backwash the filter before I could finish. The problem is that I can't reach the center of the pool only so far. I was tempted to get in to finish but it's just sooo cold. I push the brush out as far as I can reach.

Am I still on the right track? I will post my results as soon as I get my new test kit so you can tell me for sure. Seems to be going slower this year than last.

It is very tricky to know how much bleach to add if you don't have a good test kit. If you add too little everything you have added to that point can be wasted. If you haven't already seen a significant reduction in green you might want to wait for the test kit to arrive.

The kit is totally worth it. The situation above is just one of many that having a good test kit resolves.

Elle said:
So I talked to my dh and he said go ahead and order the test kit. So I did just now. Please tell me it's worth the price???

Elle, it is worth the price! :lol:

You will SAVE lots of $$$ BECAUSE of this kit! And, it is a wonderful feeling being in control of your water! Your confidence level will soar....and your water will be beautiful!

So would you suggest I just wait until the test kit arrives to do anything else?? I hate to do that. I'm still running the filter and brushing.

The only green that's in the pool is some nasty stuff in the middle on the bottom that I can just barely reach with the vac. My next purchase is an auto vac that does it for me. Otherwise the pool color is just an aqua color but it's very cloudy. I can't see the bottom yet.

How long does the test take to get here!! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It'll ship today and should be in your possession first of the week.

I understand everyone's anxiety to get the kit once they decide but overnite delivery is around $30+ dollars so I don't even offer it (yet :lol: )

I wanted to bump this up now that i have my new fancy test kit.

FC- .5
CC- .5
TC-1
PH 7.4
T/A- 80
CYA- <20

The pool is finally clear with the exception of some nasty green stuff in the middle on the bottom. I also got my pool rover today so that is cleaning that up right now!!

Anyway I would love to know my next course of action!! THANKS

Raise your chlorine using the pool calculater to shock level and hold it there till it stays there overnight, then you know the algea is dead. Keep running the filter and brushing/vacuming and you'll be fine. Consider raising your CYA to between 30-50. Enjoy...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.