28' Solar cover for 33' pool???????

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa
I just found a 28' solar cover, brand new, listed on Craigslist for $50.00. The box in the photo shows it is a "Solar-Cell Sunblanket".

My question is.....our AGP is 33' and this is for a 28' pool. Will it be effective or does the whole pool have to be covered for it to be able to hold the heat in?

Is anyone familiar with this brand? Good or not? It looks blue in color, not clear.

Does a solar cover go bad just sitting on a shelf? The ad says it was a back up and has not been used. (however, this is Craigslist)

What do you think?

I'm going to disagree - sorry Woody... solar "blankets" work best at holding heat IN. The heat gained during the heating of the day. With that big of a gap around the perimeter - I don't see how it would work as well... jMHO

True the main advantage of a cover is reduced heat loss due to evaporation. So saving 85% of the heat is better than nothing. But I do not know how much a correct size cover would cost.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
True the main advantage of a cover is reduced heat loss due to evaporation. So saving 85% of the heat is better than nothing. But I do not know how much a correct size cover would cost.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

The 33' round solar covers that I have found are usually over $200 and closer to $240ish. So this would be a huge savings, however, if it will not be effective, then maybe not worth the bargain.

Any other input?

THANKS for the help!!

It definitely won't work as well as a 33', but if the choice is between a 28' and nothing, I would go with the 28' for $50. Otherwise, I'd put that $50 towards the 33' if you are inclined to get one at some point anyway. It is a good deal relative to a 33', 25% of the price with 85% of the coverage.

Pauls234 said:
It definitely won't work as well as a 33', but if the choice is between a 28' and nothing, I would go with the 28' for $50. Otherwise, I'd put that $50 towards the 33' if you are inclined to get one at some point anyway. It is a good deal relative to a 33', 25% of the price with 85% of the coverage.

A 28' cover will only cover about 72% of a 33' pool. You can't just compare the diameter because surface area increases with the square of the radius. 28/33 is 85%, but 282/332 is only about 72%.

I just cut down a 20' x 40' solar cover to fit on my 27' round abg pool that I got off craigslist for $40. It seems to help with the temp, definitely helps keep it cleaner and cuts down a little on chlorine consumption. The upper surface is filthy with pollen and road dust in just a week of use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.