Salt level too high for SWCG?

May 10, 2008
Illinois
Hi guys,
Okay, first of all I'm totally new to SWCG systems, so please bear with me.
Tomorrow night I'm going to be installing my intex brand generator so tonight I decided to test my salt level since I finally found some test strips locally.
About a week ago I put in 8 of the 40# bags of solar salt into my 24 foot x 52" deep AGP which is what the recommended dosage is for a pool that size. I figured I was all set to go.
Well after checking the level tonight, I got a reading of 4950 ppm with my AquaCheck strips.
Now I know that intex recommends a level of 3000 ppm but I really hate to start draining the pool if I don't need to. I do taste some salt in the water but it's not exactly unpleasant.
I will have to pump an inch or two of water out tomorrow night, due to some rainfall we had today, which I assume will decrease the salt level at least somewhat.
So here are my questions:
#1 is a level of 4950 ppm going to damage the SWCG in any way?
#2 is a level of 4950 ppm going to damage my pool in any way?
As stated above, I do taste salt in the pool water but it's in no way overbearing. Also, I know that I will be adding water from time to time due to splash out and evaporation.
Any help you all can give would be appreciated. I've been a pool owner for several years now, but the salt water system is totally new to me. I have to admit that I had some problems dumping salt into what looked to be perfect water. My main problem is that I'm a gadget freak and just couldn't resist buying one, once I read about these things.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Salt at 5000 is about as high as you should go. Corrosion can start being significant a little above 6000 and the tests can be off a bit so you want to stay well below that boundary.

Most, but not all, of the SWG are just fine with higher salt levels. I don't know about the Intex, I didn't see them mention an upper limit anywhere.

Not sure about Intex, because they are pretty basic, but normally transformer based chlorinators usually have protection against high salt, because it can burn out the transformer. But the level where it happens is usually higher than 5000ppm, more like 10000 or 15000.

I also got an Intex SWCG this year, and my salt level was around 4400 or so. I just went ahead and bit the bullet and dumped about 1/3 of my water (which reminds me, I need to contact our local water dept tomorrow!). After refill, I hit right at 2970. Did I need to dump water? Maybe not, but I figure the least amount of salt I can get away with in the pool, the better.

Hey all, I really appreciate the advice. I guess I have to make a decision here (man, I hate that). :)
I don't want to risk corrosion so I will probably dump some of the water and try to get my level down. If I can hit 3500 - 4000 I think I will feel comfortable.
Thanks again for the advice. Now if it will just warm up I can start actually using the pool instead of working on it.
Dave

Likesspace said:
Hi guys,
Okay, first of all I'm totally new to SWCG systems, so please bear with me.
Tomorrow night I'm going to be installing my intex brand generator so tonight I decided to test my salt level since I finally found some test strips locally.
About a week ago I put in 8 of the 40# bags of solar salt into my 24 foot x 52" deep AGP which is what the recommended dosage is for a pool that size. I figured I was all set to go.
Well after checking the level tonight, I got a reading of 4950 ppm with my AquaCheck strips.
Now I know that intex recommends a level of 3000 ppm but I really hate to start draining the pool if I don't need to. I do taste some salt in the water but it's not exactly unpleasant.
I will have to pump an inch or two of water out tomorrow night, due to some rainfall we had today, which I assume will decrease the salt level at least somewhat...

I know this post was put on TFP a while ago, but I have noticed a couple of 'how do I reduce the amount of salt in my pool' questions. I have a lovely salt-water pool...at least I think it's lovely - I keep it covered whenever there's nobody in it because I live in Cyprus and it has not rained here for many months, so I'm trying to keep evaporation to a minimum.

Anyway, a side effect of the cover being left on throughout the scorching hot days is that the salt seems to permeate through the cover and has left a fairly substantial white layer on the cover. Presumably some form of osmosis (although I've never heard of osmosis working from a liquid, through a membrane, into air). So there you have it - if you don't want to dump tons of your precious water to reduce the salt level, just cover it - my cover is a cheap thing - that kind of plastic sacking material (but thicker).

Just taken a photo - and it definitely IS salt - I just tasted it. Very scientific.

- Paul
[attachment=1:y3ayylki]salt_on_pool.jpg[/attachment:y3ayylki]
[attachment=0:y3ayylki]salt_on_pool_closeup.jpg[/attachment:y3ayylki]

Attachments

• salt_on_pool.jpg
    salt_on_pool.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 140
  • salt_on_pool_closeup.jpg
    salt_on_pool_closeup.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 140
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.