Pool newbie, Same clorine question

May 27, 2008
Hi, I am not, having any luck shocking my pool. I have been reading alot and keep seeing this question. Here are the readings that I am getting using walmart test strips(I know I have already ordered the TF-100). The pool is clear enough to see the bottom but is a little cloudy. It is 18,500 gallons and uses a sand filtrition system.

Total Hardness-0
FC-0
ph7.2
TA-120
CYA-0

When I started opening the pool, the bottom was covered with leaves and debris although it had been covered. The water was very clear and the sides of the pool clean. I vaccumed all the debris and brushed the sides of the pool. I then took a sample to the pool store and followed their directions. This was the inital readings.

TH-174
FC-0
ph7.7
TA-53
CYA56

They said use 2lbs. of shock then 12lbs of alkalinity which I did. After running the pump all night, The readings had changed to what they are now and not waivered. The pump has been running for 3 days and nights.

Last night I decided to try the BBB method. I started with 7 gallons of 6% bleach in an attempt to raise the FC to 25. This changed nothing according to the test strips. I have since been adding 2 gallon every 30 minutes for a total of 29 gallons and the numbers have not changed. The FC and CYA are still 0. Should I keep adding bleach or give up and try something else. Any help would be great thanks...

You might have some defective test strips.

If you can't wait for the "Real Test Kit" to come in the mail, get a cheapo at Wal-Mart to help you until it comes. There should be some change in the chlorine level with that much bleach.

You won't have to wait long, and a lot of helpful answers will just roll in!

Don't worry

I would imagine that there is no way that you don't have any chlorine in the water. 7 gallons should have raised you to 18 ppm. You should either go and get a cheap test kit from walmart, or buy some new test strips. Something is wrong. Just the fact that you are dumping chlorine in the pool is proof that there is chlorine in there.

Allen,

I know this will sound a little self-serving, but the cheap kit or strips to "get you by" will often lead you astray. I suggest you simply sit tight and wait for your kit to get there (it'll ship tomorrow...Thanks!)

The analogy I like to make is like a road map. Before you can get to your destination (Clear water) you have to know your starting point. Strips and most cheap kits are simply too ambiguous to give you your starting point.

Funny, over a week and still no test kit. Glad I didn't wait. Pool was crystal clear the next day and all chemicals in line using test strips. Still looks great even after a torrential rain on Sunday. Not trying to be a smart butt; I know it could have gone either way. Still looking forward to a decent kit though. It will be good just knowing that my test results are really accurate.

duraleigh said:
Allen,

I know this will sound a little self-serving, but the cheap kit or strips to "get you by" will often lead you astray. I suggest you simply sit tight and wait for your kit to get there (it'll ship tomorrow...Thanks!)

The analogy I like to make is like a road map. Before you can get to your destination (Clear water) you have to know your starting point. Strips and most cheap kits are simply too ambiguous to give you your starting point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.