new intex pool chem questions

May 14, 2013
I have a 15x42 intex easy set roughly 4000 gallons (maybe3500) anyway its been filled for 2 days and i added some chlorine tabs in the floater yesterday and about 2 ounces of 50% algaecide today because it was starting to turn a slight green color.
I dont want to add anything else until i know what im doing!
its starting to get green and i dont know if i should use a pool shock (the powdered bag kind) or something else?
any info on what i should be doing or what i should be picking up chem wise to add?

[center:2nq1lts0]Green is not good. That probably means algae. Do the walls feel slimey?

[youtube:2nq1lts0]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2nq1lts0]
You need bleach and stabilizer. And a test kit. And a few hours' reading in pool school.

Start by pouring about 2 cups of regular Chlorox in the pool. That should hold the green at bay until you get through the basic articles in pool school.[/center:2nq1lts0]

well im slightly overwhelmed! having such a relatively small pool i didnt expect the learning curve to be so high! all this cya and fc talk is getting me bewildered! lol.
all i have is the basic $5 test kit so i guess i better jump on ebay or something and order a decent one.

Richard320 said:
That $5 kit will work to make sure you keep FC at 3 or better until you get things dialed in.

Best bang for the buck test kit-wise is the TF100 from http://tftestkits.com . Looks pricey, but it's cheaper than one sleepless night and a visit to urgent care because someone has an ear infection, or pinkeye, or a skin rash.
yeah i can see that! i have 5 kids so the urgent care bill could get on up there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly that kit is overkill - your pool being on the small side I would go for the TF-50. And with the pump and filter combo you have you could just be better off draining and starting over...

Read the Guide to Seasonal Pools in Pool School.

Note - the filters with the Intex set ups are DISPOSABLE. They are meant for 2 weeks of use and then toss. Don't try to clean and re-use.

tberchtold said:
My water is now more green and slightly brown since adding the Clorox and a coworker said its probably reacting with the metals in the city water oxidizing them!
Is this true?
If it's a clear green, yes, it's possible. Orange/yellow iron against blue background tends to look green. Municipal water doesn't usually have much in the way of metals, though, although you'd know the specifics at your house. Do you have rust stains in the toilet?

tberchtold said:
No rust stains anywhere.
And with the new water I don't think it'algae
So the metals made sense
The walls of the pool are not slimy
Then hope it goes away by itself as happens to Duraleigh in that thread I linked to in my last reply here.

Another reason to maintain the water rather than drain it. You don't want to be stressing over the green every time. Plus it takes a couple days for the water to warm up again, and with five kids whining to go swimming.... :grrrr:

yeah i guess it just needs a few days to clear, i had the water tested at a local pool store and they said everything was fine just a little high on ph (added acid) and the brown/green was from the metals in the city water.
they said they had a chemical i could add that would "polish" the metal making the color go away but then i would have to add a second chem to get the metal out.
or i could just keep changing the filter frequently and give it a few days.
knowing what pool stores charge for these exotic chems i went with the latter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.