No Pool Returns (wall)

May 14, 2013
I have a Shasta in-ground pool, 12,000 gallons, pebbletec, connected hot tub, with a sand filter and 1.5 HP single speed pump. My pool was built with in-floor Quik Clean pop up heads, but no wall returns. All water is returned through the pop ups. What I want to know, is this a normal way to install a pool? I was under the impression that you should normally be able to turn off your floor cleaning system (bypass). I'm not happy with the pop ups. They do a weak job and the pressure is inconsistent between zones. I would love to use a robotic vacuum system, but have no way to turn off the pop ups.

Any suggestions?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

My previous pool had the pop-up system ... did a decent job actually. But I did have separate wall outlets if so desired. We have seen a few reports of setups like you describe. Unfortunately, there really is not much you can out outside of having new holes drilled through the walls or running a new pipe above ground and into the pool.

Wondering if some of the zone are partially clogged or something. Have you ever inspected the distribution hub / gears?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I have done a lot of work on this pool in the past eight years. I replaced the gear assembly and the plastic ball. I have changed the filtration system out myself from DE to Sand last year (I'm so glad I made that change). The only thing I have not done is sent a camera down the pipes to look for obstructions to the pop ups. I suppose one day I may be tempted to spend the money to do that. In the mean time I brush weekly and vacuum every one to two weeks, which is really a pretty good deal. The QuikClean heads are 65 a pop, and a few need replacement. I just hate the expense involved.

Right before I bought the house I know the pool underwent a pebbleTec makeover. Part of me wonders if they also installed pop ups at that time, and did some replumbing. A few pool guys around here say they hardly ever see a pool without wall returns as an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.