Pool Still Clowdy after ~100 lbs of Shock

May 14, 2013
I have a 20x40 in ground pool. There is a leak somewhere, possibly in the lines. I had trouble keeping the water clear last year, so around August I gave up and stopped adding shock, running the filter, etc.

This spring I hired professionals to clear up the pool. They have been here every day but Sunday for over a month, adding 4-6 pounds of shock to the pool most days. They have vacuumed to waste, the pool is free of debris, and yet while the pool is blue, it is still cloudy, and you can't see the bottom.

They have tried metal removers and had it tested for phosphates, and are totally stumped. They chlorine just keeps dropping to zero, after only a day or two.

We think the leak may have something to do with it (I have to run the hose for about an hour every other day or so, mostly because we are backwashing every day), but we don't know what it would be. We just changed the sand in the filter 2 years ago.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

You need a good test kit. Please get yourself a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006 from tftestkits.net. We need test results for FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and calcium hardness. Once we have those, we can start dialing in your problem. :goodjob:

insightz06 said:
I have a 20x40 in ground pool. There is a leak somewhere, possibly in the lines. I had trouble keeping the water clear last year, so around August I gave up and stopped adding shock, running the filter, etc.

This spring I hired professionals to clear up the pool. They have been here every day but Sunday for over a month, adding 4-6 pounds of shock to the pool most days. They have vacuumed to waste, the pool is free of debris, and yet while the pool is blue, it is still cloudy, and you can't see the bottom.

They have tried metal removers and had it tested for phosphates, and are totally stumped. They chlorine just keeps dropping to zero, after only a day or two.

We think the leak may have something to do with it (I have to run the hose for about an hour every other day or so, mostly because we are backwashing every day), but we don't know what it would be. We just changed the sand in the filter 2 years ago.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Educated guess: They've been shocking with Tri-chlor. Which raises the stabilizer too high too fast. Which means whatever chlorine is in there is ineffective, so they need to add more "shock"...which raises the stabilizer too high too fast, which means whatever chlorine is in there is ineffective, so they need to add more "shock"... and so on in an endless, escalating, spiral of doom.

Order a test kit - a proper test kit; don't be penny wise and pound foolish after all the money you've shoveled at that soggy hole in the ground - and start reading Pool School.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yep, what they said^^ The best thing you can do for your pool is order one of the recommended test kits. The TF100 is the best bang for the buck. Link in my sig.

As they said, once we get a full set of test results, we can dial in on the problem.

You have come to the right place to conquer the problem :goodjob:

Folks here will help you take care of your pool.

Richard320 said:
Educated guess: They've been shocking with Tri-chlor. Which raises the stabilizer too high too fast. Which means whatever chlorine is in there is ineffective, so they need to add more "shock"...which raises the stabilizer too high too fast, which means whatever chlorine is in there is ineffective, so they need to add more "shock"... and so on in an endless, escalating, spiral of doom.

Order a test kit - a proper test kit; don't be penny wise and pound foolish after all the money you've shoveled at that soggy hole in the ground - and start reading Pool School.

+1

Let's assume "100 lbs of shock" was dichlor. According to poolcalculator.com, this will "raise FC by 74, raise CYA by 67, lower pH by 2.81, and raise Salt by 60".

If "100 lbs of shock" was trichlor, it would "raise FC by 122, raise CYA by 74, lower pH by 6.52, raise Salt by 100".

Or perhaps it was cal-hypo, "raise FC by 96, raise CH by 68, raise salt by 98".

So pick your poison. +67 CYA, +74 CYA, or +68 CH. Any one of them is probably going to put you in a bad spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.