New to testing..

Jun 30, 2012
Boardman, Ohio
Hi. Our pool was installed about a week ago so I'm really new to this pool ownership and testing thing. I'm using the TF100 test kit and I've had a lot of fun reading through pool school and playing chemist with the kit.

Yesterday's results:
pH 8.2
FC .5
TA 70
CH 140
CYA 0

The black dot never disappeared. This is a new pool with new water and I do have CYA hanging in a sock near the return. Will it take a while to register on the test?

After that test, I used the pool calculator and added muriatic acid and liquid chlorine as recommended.

Today's results:
pH 7.2
FC 3
TA 40

The pool calculator is recommending that I add 127oz of baking soda by weight or 107oz of baking soda by volume.

The pH and TA thing confuses me a bit..maybe I should have paid more attention back in those high school and college chemistry classes. Anyway, will adding that baking soda to raise the TA affect the pH?

Does it seem like I'm doing what I should at this point?

The water looks crystal clear and sparkly. My 8 year old is so excited about swimming but it's been super cold here..highs in the 50s..yikes and our gas heater isn't hooked up yet. No swimming in the very near future for us but I want to make sure that I'm doing a good job with getting this started and maintaining.

I am so impressed by this forum and how kind and helpful people are here!

Cya takes a while to dissolve. We reccomend waiting a week before checking CYA levels after additions. As for your TA, 40 is low. I would use the pool calculator and add enough baking soda to get the TA up to around 70.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Yes, the CYA can take 3-5 days or so to register so just assume the dosage you put in is in there.

Your TA is quite low. The baking soda will raise it just fine (shoot for about 70 or so) and it will have no appreciable affect on your pH.

You are off to a very good start. The testing is a bit daunting at first but you will be a pro over the next couple of weeks. Did you calculate the CYA dosage to about 40 ppm?

lisam00 said:
Hi. Our pool was installed about a week ago so I'm really new to this pool ownership and testing thing. I'm using the TF100 test kit and I've had a lot of fun reading through pool school and playing chemist with the kit.

Yesterday's results:
pH 8.2
FC .5
TA 70
CH 140
CYA 0

The black dot never disappeared. This is a new pool with new water and I do have CYA hanging in a sock near the return. Will it take a while to register on the test?
Yes. Could take up to a week. Save your reagent and just assume its in there and try again next week.

After that test, I used the pool calculator and added muriatic acid and liquid chlorine as recommended.

Today's results:
pH 7.2
FC 3
TA 40

The pool calculator is recommending that I add 127oz of baking soda by weight or 107oz of baking soda by volume.

The pH and TA thing confuses me a bit..maybe I should have paid more attention back in those high school and college chemistry classes. Anyway, will adding that baking soda to raise the TA affect the pH?
Baking soda doesn't affect pH very much. Hint: look at the bottom of Pool Calculator. It has a line titled "Effect of Adding Chemicals." You can see for yourself what should happen. As an aside, why did you lower pH to 7.2? Human tears are around 7.4-7.5. What did you target? Because if you overshot your target, you might need to reduce the volume you have entered in the pool calculator.

Does it seem like I'm doing what I should at this point?

The water looks crystal clear and sparkly. My 8 year old is so excited about swimming but it's been super cold here..highs in the 50s..yikes and our gas heater isn't hooked up yet. No swimming in the very near future for us but I want to make sure that I'm doing a good job with getting this started and maintaining.

I am so impressed by this forum and how kind and helpful people are here!
You are doing great!

I'm thoroughly pleased that you took the plunge and bought the test kit. By the time the water's warm enough for your kid (it will still be too cold for you :wink: ) you will have it all figured out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.