Removing Safety Cover without the tool?

brian4110

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just like the headline says....I inherited the pool but apparently not the tool for removing the safety cover. I can't find it anywhere. I will probably go buy a new one, but in the meantime does anyone have any experience taking a typical safety lock cover off a pool without the tool used to pop the loops off the grommet?

Just order the tool. I am sure you could possible get them off with a flathead screwdriver, but there is A LOT of tension and I can't think of any truly safe way to do it without the tool. The tool is not anything highly sophisticated, you could probably make one easily with some steel pipe and a hacksaw even you really need one quickly.

i have the tool to remove it and i find it easier to just use a screwdriver to ease it to one side of the anchor and the pop it off.
i should use the tool though to avoid scratched our stamped concrete tho.,

For anyone still following along or who might be in a similar predicament in the future...

Method 1 - boot heel kicking: didn't much work for me. springs were too tight I think.
Method 2 - screw driver: worked, but was painfully slow and I felt like I was about to damage the concrete. So I only took a few of the springs off and then stopped.
Method 3 - build your own tool: didn't try this.

In the end, I waited for the tool to come in and just used that. Once the cover was off, I came face to face with my new swamp monster...but I think that is a story for another thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I know this is a bit of an old thread, but only one I could find related.

I have the tool, but when I use it, it seems to really want to SCRATH the stamped concrete...is there a trick or a way to do this.

Putting it on is fine, it is just the removal.

Thanks in advance!

Could you dip or paint that plasticizer stuff on the end diameter of the pipe? You can pick it up at the hardware store for a few bucks...if it works, you're a hero...and if it doesn't, you tell wife you tried...I think you'd still get brownie points for taking action :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.