Help - Wiring for H400 IDL2 into Aqualink Panel

tjf120

Apr 27, 2013
Hello, my pool heater fried - burnt resistors on the control boards. After finding out that there are differences between a H400, and the H400 IDL2 control boards, I have my heater working (mostly). I've replaced the display, the display board, and the control board in the unit.

The heater now works by manually starting/adjusting it physically outside at the unit.

However, my Aqualink is not controlling the unit. I'm going to change the wire to the panel as one last thing to do.

Questions
On the aqualink outdoor panel (which I haven't touched, so this is the original and at one point working wiring)
- blue/white wire is wired into terminal '1'
- orange/white is wired into terminal '2'

On the heater control board, what should the wiring be??? I don't know if I mixed up the wiring when I put in the new card.
- Pool (blue/white??)(orange/white??)
- 24 VAC (empty)
- Spa (blue/white??)(orange/white??)

I've tried the 'bo' where you hold down mode/low and that doesn't allow me to control the heater with the aqualink inside. It used to work 2 yrs ago, then last winter was on the fritz. This winter it fried.

You need one set of wires to be connected to either pool or spa, not both. The other set goes to the 24v AC. Then put the unit in bo, Bypass Operation and the Aqualink should control it.

So try blue/white to pool and orange/white to the 24vAC. Don't forget that you have to set the Pool temp set point on the heater to as high as it will go, usually 104.

Ok, that worked, thank you PS0303.

I'm posting the sequence I performed for anyone else doing a similar project

- Replaced 3 of the control boards in Hayward H400 (IDL2) heater
- Wired
- blue/white in top spot (labeled pool) on card
- orange/white in the 24 V middle spot on card
- set pool and spa to max temp (104 F)
- put the unit on 'standby'
- held 'mode' and 'decrease temp' for 3 seconds to put in 'bo' mode which showed on the display
- hit mode twice to put the heater in 'pool' mode (red LED lit), 'bo' still on heater

Works perfect now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.