Mystery Pipe

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Just purchased a new home with a 16 x 32 inground pool. I'm pool rookie and know absolutely nothing other than what I have read on this site and on Pool School. I have a Taylor test kit on the way and I'll be posting the results before I even pull the cover off so I'll be ready with whatever I need.

On to my question, right near my pump/filter set up there is a black PVC pipe that is sticking out of the ground. It's about 16" or so from ground level and it seems to be filled with water - might be rain water - I'm not sure.

Anyone have any guesses as to what it might be? I can post a pic tommorrow if need be.

Thanks!

Ah. Are there any holes that look like returns that may not have water flowing out? That looks like it could be a separate line that was run to the pool for a cleaner line maybe? Although it is odd to be full of water (unless it has gotten clogged or the pool port is capped).

I agree, the pipe looks to be the same type/size as the other pipes coming out of the ground so it is probably going to something in the pool.

Is the water level in the pipe at about the same level as the pool water?

Is there a port in the pool that isn't an active return or a skimmer or a main drain?

Do all the returns work in the pool?

I haven't opened the pool or started the filter as of yet and we just bought the house last week so I'll do my best to answer the questions:

Are there any holes that look like returns that may not have water flowing out?
- Do you mean in the pool itself? I don't know as I haven't opened it yet.

That looks like it could be a separate line that was run to the pool for a cleaner line maybe?
- You mean for a vacuum? I'm not sure. I don't see any threads or any wear or tear on the top of the pipe or any sign that anything was screwed or connected to the top of it

Although it is odd to be full of water (unless it has gotten clogged or the pool port is capped).
- It is definitely full of water. You can see the leaf floating in the pipe.

Is the water level in the pipe at about the same level as the pool water?
- No. The water level in the pool is about ground level. About the same level as the pump give or take. The water level at the top of pipe is much higher than the water level.

Is there a port in the pool that isn't an active return or a skimmer or a main drain? Do all the returns work in the pool?

- Again I'm not sure as I haven't opened the pool and we've only owned the house for about a week.

Is this pipe a bad sign?? Could this have been done because something wasn't working properly in the filter system?? As you can see, it's not a state of the art new system that's for sure.

I wouldn't get too worried until you have a look in the pool.

I have a mystery pipe that I can only assume goes to the mystery port in the pool sidewall. But since it's capped, I just left well enough alone. I also have mystery pipes (small ones) poking up near my sprinkler controls that I assume were put there to run wires or something. I've never searched for the other ends. Recently, while digging in the garden, I smashed through a very thinwalled pipe. Since it was near the sprinklers, I thought I had just created a ton of work for myself. But it had no wiring in it, no water under pressure, and it didn;t squirt when I cycled all the sprinklers. I think it was from an earlier sprinkler system that was abandoned and left in the ground.

The adventures of a new house. It took us almost three years to figure out what a certain light switch went to!

Well, you got to get the pump running to find out.

I looks like a line that was run to the pool, but not being used. You may find a hole in the pool wall that is not doing anything and that would mean you could possibly attach the black pipe to the suction or return side for a cleaner.

Probably not a bad sign, but could be a sign of not currently unused potential.

Thanks! When I get the pump running I'll re-post and go from there. Hopefully I don't have a geyser of water!!!

Quick follow up question - should I replace those shut off valves that look like they are off the Titanic??? I want ball valves there no?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Filter lesson

Merged by moderator. Please keep your related questions together. Thanks, jblizzle

Can someone point out what each of the pipes connected to my filter are for?? And do each of the shut off valves need to be open when the filter is running??? Just bought the house and I have zero pool experience.

Not sure if you guys can do this just from one pic but any guidance would be appreciated.

Ignore the black PVC pipe. I have another post going on that. Unless you know what it is!!!!

Thanks!!!

You have 2 suction lines with the valves ... so either the floor and a skimmer or 2 skimmers or a wall drain or ???

You can open each one separately to try to see what they are for, but do not run with both closed.

Re: Filter lesson

woodyp said:
Do you have a bottom drain? More than one skimmer? Give us a little more info please.

Sorry I don't know!!! We just bought the house last week and the cover is still on. I'll be pulling it next weekend.

I know - my lack of info isn't helping...

jblizzle said:
You have 2 suction lines with the valves ... so either the floor and a skimmer or 2 skimmers or a wall drain or ???

You can open each one separately to try to see what they are for, but do not run with both closed.

Perfect! And one return right?

The pipe going down out of the filter is the return line that is feeding some number of return jets.

And maybe the other black pipe is connected to an additional hole in the pool.

jblizzle said:
The pipe going down out of the filter is the return line that is feeding some number of return jets.

And maybe the other black pipe is connected to an additional hole in the pool.

Thanks!! I know 100% more about this set up than I did this morning!!

jblizzle said:
100% more of zero is still zero ;)

You got me there!! Ok, I started at 1%. I knew a pool holds water - and that's about it.

I can't believe I own a house with a pool. When I was younger my father used to set up the lawn sprinkler so my brother and I could run through it in the Summer and cool off. Still, those were good times...

If the pipe is set at a height above the waterline, but below the top edge of the pool deck-- it is likely an overflow pipe. When we installed our pool, it is apparently required by code now. In our pool, it is connected to the floor drains. For what ever reason when we kill the pump, we get a splash of water out of the pipe (as long as the floor drains are open). By accident, when I forgot that I left the hose turned on to top off the pool, I confirmed that it works-- the water spilled out of the pipe and drained away from the pool, rather than coming over the top of the pool's edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.