Help converting to Intex Salt

Mar 26, 2013
Haslett, MI
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I have almost the same pool, but 20' x 48" and would like to go from standard chlorine to an easier to maintain system. I have the filter skimmer in the pool wall as well. Do I need to go to a sand filter and salt water system? I need some recommendations to convert from chlorine to salt water, but don't know exactly what I need. Have been looking at the Intex 54601 or 54611 but not sure what to do! Help!

I've got an Intex UltraFrame 18' round pool with the 1500 GPH cartridge filter/pump that came with my pool. I added the Intex 54601 salt system when I did the initial setup and I've been running this setup for almost 2 years without any real problems. I am upgrading to a larger Intex sand based filter (2650 GPH), but you do not need to move to a sand filter before converting to salt water. I would suggest that you stay away from the 54611. I don't like combined systems. If one piece fails, the entire thing is shot. You'll have to replace the entire thing, not just a small piece. When I thought my salt system died, I was able to disconnect it and still use my filter while I debugged the system (turns out the titanium plates needed to be cleaned which was an easy process.).

You'll really love the salt system. Other than a good cleaning once/year, it's been maintenance free.

--Jonathan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.