Need advice

Yes, your CYA is zero.

You need to raise your CYA level. With CYA near zero you lose chlorine to sunlight as rapidly as it can be added to the pool.

The recommended CYA level for use with a SWG is between 70 and 80. But don't go all the way up to there in one step. It is too easy to overshoot your target level. Remember it is easy to add more CYA, but really difficult to lower it if you add too much.

what does the water look like? is it clear?

I say this, because if not, you need to shock the pool first. And, if shocking is necessary, you don't want your CYA up at 70 just yet. You can shock at that level, but it's quite a bit more costly to do so.

Just to prevent further questions, if you do need to shock, bring the CYA level up to a calculated 30 (it won't show on the test for a while so just trust it's 30) by putting the correct amount. For your 4k gallon pool that would be 16oz by weight or 17oz by volume (dissolved in a sock hanging in front of a return is how I prefer). Then bring your FC level up to 13 by adding 105 oz of bleach and then keep it there by monitoring at least every hour or so until you meet the following 3 conditions.

The water looks clear
you pass the overnight drop test (drops less than 1 point overnight on the FC test)
CC is less than 1

After this, let the levels fall to normal and enjoy.

You can address the pH with muratic acid. That's what many here use. Be careful and read up on the use of that chemical before attempting. Not trying to scare you, but bad things can happen if handled improperly. 10 oz of 20* Baume muratic acid will drop the level from 7.8 to 7.2 in your pool.

I added about 1.5 lbs (24 oz)of CYA last night. Put it in the sock and hang over the return. It was almost dissolved in the morning. Now it's gone. I am going to let the pump runs few hours after that.

Can I test the cya later today? The reagent is not much. Three times test, probably.

Wait a week to test. Assume it is at the level you were dosing for to determine your required FC level.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.