About fed up with intex deluxe surface skimmer

Apr 22, 2013
-Do not get me wrong it works well, but it is a constant hassle to fool with. It seems like it always wants to float up and not stay locked on to the railing. Earlier today it floated up and no water was able to get to the pump....luckily i was outside at the time.

-I have been eying and researching this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Standard-Thru ... r/14003685.

Questions
-does anyone maybe know how to make the surface skimmer more secure?
- If i were to get the through wall skimmer would i have to hard plumb my pool?

I have the ultra frame also. I have the skmmer from my old blue intex and it holds in great.
Is there any way you could post a pic of your issue.
Also it is possible to put a thru wall skimmer and not hard plumb. I will post a link if I find more info on it.
But Ive googled it and found a few intex thru wall skimmers that where not hard plumbed.
Im going to be doing it next week so I plan on taking a ton of pics and trying to make an updated instructional as all the 1s I find dont have pics anymore.

Edit: My first tutorial will be trying to use all the original equip. then after Im going to hard plump and show that also. I know there are many that just want the thru wall skimmer and are not concerned about hard plumbing.

poolnew-b -
Thank you for the response. I will be excited to see how you do it. Attaching the skimmer seems pretty straightforward. The problem is what would i do with the old intake hole? Do i just leave the valve on there and turn it off? Also would i be able to use the intex hose to hook up to the new skimmer?

gasczar - Thank you for the link. It is very informative

-Which skimmer is everyone using? Heritage Standard Thru-the-Wall Skimmer?

Ok so I just took the plunge and ordered the skimmer from walmart. Could someone tell me where the best place would be to install it. I was thinking to the left of the original intake, but then I thought maybe that would be too close to the return?? Any advice?

I had the same problem with mine, although I have the inflatable ring pool. Last year I found some pics on here where somebody had made a simple and cheap pvc stand that goes outside the pool with an arm that the skimmer can be mounted to with hose clamps. Anyway I made one up, and no problems with the skimmer since, love it.

Hopefully you can find the pics, will be putting my pool up soon and could get pics of mine sometime after that.

I had the same issues because the flex hose of the skimmer kept pushing it up so I hard plumbed it and it's been great. What I did was slip a 1 1/4" PVC tee on the skimmer adapter (takes a bit of force, but fits perfectly) and put a valve on each end, one goes to an elbow leading down to near the bottom and the other goes to the skimmer so I can have either or both without having to cut holes in the liner. It's not as pretty as getting an in-wall and cutting but sure is just as functional :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey new to this thread. I have a Coleman 9'x18'x48" rectangular above ground pool with a .95 hp sand filter pump. The index deluxe wall skimmer works great but keeps floating up any ideas on how to fix this issue without having to cut. I can add pics if needed.

The elbow (1-14" I think) is press-fit into the original screw on wall fitting and I believe a union is press fit on the bottom of the strainer housing. I have a screwed union that allows me to assemble it on the pool. There is no other connection to the pool other than the standard basket clamp that clamps to the pool frame. It's extremely rigid. I had the same problem as you with the basket being flipped up by kiddos.

I have the same problem, bracket keeps popping off despite screws tightened all the way. Dug up the bracket from my old blue Intex and that one works fine. It is shaped slightly different with more of a heel wrapping around the frame. Will use that bracket with the new skimmer. Hardpiping looks like a good idea, might try that. Not yet sure about through the wall skimmer, mainly due to loss of water depth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.