Salt from bleach cause TDS increase or heater corrosion?

Jul 16, 2007
Indiana
The pool store folks are highly concerned with my TDS number, I've learned here on the forum that TDS isn't much of a concern. I started BBB at the beginning of last season, my TDS was about 1100. At the end of last season it had gone up to 2400.

Is this big increase due to the disolved salt from the bleach? Is the salt in the water a corrosion hazard to a pool heater? I have to think it isn't, many folks have a heater and use BBB, what about a heater with a SWG system?

The pool store is simply spreading fear and uncertainty so you will buy their products instead of things you can get from someone else. Their products will also raise the salt level and they will also raise the TDS number. Just ignore the TDS number, it doesn't mean much of anything.

Corrosion is always a small issue, with or without salt. It is impossible to have a pool without salt in it. Almost every chemical you add to the pool has some salt in it. Likewise, every chemical you add to the pool raises the TDS number. As long as your salt level is below about 5000 you shouldn't have any special corrosion issues. Your current salt level must be way below 5000, presumably well under 2000.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.