Hayward will only hum

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
Help, please!

Hayward Power-Flo LX Model # SP151Z1BC

Started out the year and would only hum. Was able to turn shaft with pliers and get it to start up. Now, it will not start up at all, only hums.

Shaft turns easily. Motor shaft is NOT bound.

Hubby took back off dry end and had a look. Springs on switch are not sprung on switch, so he doesn't think it's stuck open. He has minor knowledge on motors--I have none.

Nothing looks terribly corroded.

Can someone advise us where to start? We can't find a diagram of the dry side of the motor.

Thanks!
Tracy

I've been tinkering again this morning. The centrifugal switch does not close when the switch is turned on. I tried manually closing it to see if that would start the pump, and I got nothing there either. Granted, I was a bit nervous while manually closing it (with screwdriver) so I may have not made good contact. I'm ignorant as to how these switches work, btw.

Next, I went ahead and looked at the wet end of the pump. Impeller was clean and looks great. I wrapped a rope around the impeller casing, flipped my power switch, gave a yank and she fired up.

Reassembled and wrapped my rope around the shaft between the impeller and motor (not nearly as easy as the first go). Took me two tries, but got her going. Ran about two minutes and kicked breaker. I saw some water in the bottom of the motor casing as I was scrambling my fat, old, contorted, crammed between deck supports, soaking wet butt back away from all the electrical business. When I primed the basket, I got soaked and figure the motor did as well. Thinking this is where the water came from and why I kicked a breaker.

So, is my prob the cent switch?

Pics--I sanded the contact on the cent switch.

What is the spring loaded thing in the other pic? Could it be my problem? It works in and out easily.

Attachments

• pumpmotor.jpg
    pumpmotor.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 70
  • pumpmotorcentr.jpg
    pumpmotorcentr.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 72
Centrifugal switch is where I'd be looking. With the power OFF, try to move the weight assembly of the centrifugal switch. You may find that it is in a bind or corroded and some WD-40 could solve your problem.

p.s. I just went back and read your post more carefully, the spring loaded thing in the second pic is the "centrifugal" part of the centrifugal switch. Make sure it moves freely.

Okay, going to sound like a real dummy here..because I am. Don't want to mess up anything.

The first pic is the cent switch, correct? Is this where I spray wd 40 or on the spring thing in the second pic?

Thanks!

The first pic is the physical switch (as in electrical contacts) the second pic (the springy thing) is the actuator. It actually operates the contacts when the motor starts. The part you want to lube is the springy part. I'd be very sparing with anything you apply to it. The first thing to do is to manually operate it several times to see if it's sticking. It'll will take a bit of force to move it but it should move smoothly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.