Dirty water in return after I pump or sweep

Apr 13, 2013
East Texas
Just finished shocking process and my water is full of dead white algae. We've had the sand filter running 24 hours a day for about 2 weeks now (w/ D.E. every backwash) and the white stuff still remains. Both the pump and filter (Doughboy) were replacements and installed by a professional in November. When I disconnect the sweeper (Polaris) there is a flow of white water out of my return for about 15 seconds that looks to me like the dead white algae i'm so desparately trying to get rid of. Also, when I backwash -- once the water runs clear in the bubble for about 15 seconds -- I always filter to waste for about 20 seconds and still when I return to filter mode the water flowing out of my return is white again for about 20 seconds.

My husband took the top off and did a sand wash (also new in December) with the hose about a week into it and it didn't make any difference but the water was GROSS! Even found some solid chunks of algae. Took a good 25 minutes or so of washing before the water started running somewhat clear. That may be normal? Never ran a hose thru sand before.

I would say the water has gotten better over the two weeks but it still isn't close to clear and the algae bloom wasn't even that bad. I'm wondering if maybe my filter is not working correctly but before I pay for a service call I thought I'd run it by the board to see if I'm crazy :0) I'd rather hear it from you than from a pool guy as he hands me a bill....

Do you have a "clean" function? Running on "waste" bypasses the filter, so that will not clean the sand. You should alternate between "backwash" and "clean" a few times if you have that setting.

I always filter to waste for about 20 seconds and still when I return to filter mode the water flowing out of my return is white again for about 20 seconds.
After backwashing, do you use the "rinse" position for about 1 minute before switching back to "filter"?

I do not have a rinse or clean on my filter. I have "pump to waste" "filter to waste" "recirculate" "backwash" "close" and "filter". I figured filtering it to waste would run it the correct way thru the sand again but send any left over stuff it to waste instead of back into my pool but that isn't successful. Also - sweeping uses the return water and not the filter so I'm not sure why dirty water comes thru the return once the sweeper is removed from it.

I run it about 2 minutes on backwash (until bubble runs clear) and 1 minute on 'filter to waste' and 1 minute on 'pump to waste' and still get what i'm assuming is dirty water out of return for first 10-15 seconds after i turn it back to filter. This also happens just overnight -- I turn off the pump at 6:00pm and when I turn it on at 8:am I get this white water! I am confident it is not bubbles in the water and we killed an algae bloom several weeks ago. I'm assuming the white water is just dead algae being blown back into my pool. Is it possible everybody's pump does this and I just didn't notice it last year (it was a different pump and filter) or do I need a service call?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.