Do builders use long or short radius elbows in the plumbing?

rock

Apr 26, 2012
I only found out today about the existence and efficiency advantage of long-radius elbows versus short-radius elbows.

Taking a look at my professionally installed pool equipment, I see only short radius elbows:
12925050.jpg

Since there was plenty of room then, and now, I wonder why a builder would opt for short-radius elbows when longer-radius elbows would fit as well.

Any insight into this new topic (for me) of what most builders use for initial pool equipment elbows?

Re: Do builders use long or short radius elbows in the plumb

Yes most builders use short radius elbows because it makes the plumbing a little easier.

However, the advantage of long radius elbows is small at best. In a typical plumbing setup, replacing a 90 with long radius 90 would reduce head loss by less than 0.2% per 90. To me it isn't worth the hassle. Up sizing the pipe has a much larger impact (~9%) because it affects not only 90s but every fitting and all the pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.