GRRR, ready to fill pool with concrete

May 22, 2008
Hello All,

Before reading the sticky on cleaning a scummy pool I was ready to fill mine in with concrete. But I went home with all my notes and new test kit ready to have a sparkling blue pool in days. Well, that didn't happen. I don't have the test kit that will give me an FC reading above 5 so I tried eyeballing it like it said in the notes. Yesterday my pool was/is still green and cloudy and I got the following readings:

pH=7.2
FC=0
TC=1-2
TA=150
CH=140
CYA=70

Since my pH was correct we added 10 bottles of 6% bleach, each bottle 172 oz. (I think I got this amount off the pool calculator)

We have a sand filter, 14ftx28ft inground concrete with vinyl liner pool 6ft deep so the pool calculator says it's 17600 gallons. After that much bleach i did notice white stuff floating on the top. So we brushed the sides of the pool. My filter has been on 24/7 since last Thursday when I found this site. Since last Thursday I've tried the bleach after adding borax to bring my pH level up to 7.2 but it's still cloudy. At one point it was a different shade of blue/green but then went back to green. I'm going to go to Leslie's after work today to see if I can get just the FC test because I just bought the test kit for $40 and can't afford the $64 kit.

And to add insult to injury the neighbor kids were taunting me yesterday by playing "Marco Polo" in their pool. LOL

HELP!!!

After adding the bleach the FC level was higher than my test kit will go and i noticed

The problem is that if you ever let the chlorine go back to zero, you lose the progress you've made. The key is to check it very often. Every 4 hours at a minimum, preferably every hour at the beginning. You'll have to add chlorine most of the time to stay at shock level. Once it holds for the 4 hour interval, then check it every 8 hours.

Your CYA level is 70 so shock level is 20.

You can find out things like the appropriate normal and shock level based on your CYA level and do several handy calculations using my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature.

Even through it is totally fine to add 20 ppm of chlorine tonight, it is difficult to know how much chlorine to add after that without being able to accurately test fairly high levels of FC. If you add too little chlorine the algae gets going again and you are losing ground. If you add too much chlorine you run a small risk of damaging the pool. In the early stages of fighting algae it is simple, the algae is going to consume all the chlorine. But after that startup period, the chlorine level starts to partially hold and it is no longer obvious how much chlorine to add without the test result.

I didn't see you mention of you have a plaster pool or vinyl or fiberglass. If you have a plaster/pebble pool you are much safer raising the FC level quite high and you can just add a huge amount of chlorine and be done with it. With vinyl it is a much more difficult decision because high FC levels can bleach the liner. Fiberglass is somewhere in between.

JasonLion said:
Your CYA level is 70 so shock level is 20.

You can find out things like the appropriate normal and shock level based on your CYA level and do several handy calculations using my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature.
Am I looking at the correct chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopic.php?t=2346
Shouldn't CYA =70 be shocked at 27.5ppm FC???

27.5 will work just fine as a shock level and so will 20. You don't actually have to go as high as that table suggests when shocking at high CYA levels because of the large total quantity of chlorine buffered in the water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.