Is this Brass Conduit?

Jul 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Hi all:

I'm relocating my pool equipment setup and in the process rerouting the electrical as well. In order to relocate the above ground junction box and avoid any type of splicing, the niche light wire which needs to be replaced with a longer section.

This wire appears to run through a thick walled conduit made of brass (just a bit larger than 3/4" OD). I've never seen this type of piping. Can anyone identify this product for me? I need to reroute this pipe and I'm not sure what to use to do this. Do I use galvanized or another material to interface and reroute?

Also, any advice on running a new, longer wire from the light is greatly appreciated. This is an Anthony pool.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Conduit 2.jpg
    Conduit 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Conduit 1.jpg
    Conduit 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 165
Not exactly pipe that is reserved for electrical conduit. That is actually 1/2" schedule 40 brass piping, that is usually used for water piping (back before it was worth so much). That pipe will actually last forever, or get you a nice amount change at the recycle yard.

Thanks for the responses.

After KillerStang's verification of what I had, I Googled the product and found quite a bit of info. Apparently 1/2" and 3/4" Brass pipe was used extensively for Niche pool lighting. It appears the reasoning was: 1-relatively inexpensive back in the day, 2-Brass is very corrosion resistant, 3-it is approved as a bonding material.

I also found my question posed by others on various electrical, DIY, plumbing and pool websites. After sifting through many answers, it seems there are two options:
1 - Cut the Brass pipe, thread the end and continue to the new location with new Brass components, in a manner that is up to code.
2 - IF access to the niche install is available, one can run new PVC to the rear of the Niche fixture/housing, secure a #8 copper wire to the bonding lug on the housing...IF available. Older fixtures will likely have no lug. Rerun the entire line in a manner that is up to code.

So, it appears that extending my current installation with 10' of 1/2" - Schedule 40 - Red Brass pipe, a 45 degree fitting and one coupling will get me where I need to be.

I'm finding that this pipe is not very common. I did find @ McMaster-Carr and Grainger but was hoping to find at a local supply house.

On another note: I haven't taken the light out of the niche housing and now I'm guessing I can't wire in a new, longer wire. IS it possible or does the light come with an integrated/sealed wire from the factory? If the latter is the case, then I hope I can find a new replacement for the housing in my pool.

I'll answer my own question. Perhaps it'll help someone out there in the future.

After further digging I found that the light fixture and cord/wire cannot be serviced other than for bulb replacement. Therefore a new unit is necessary. As far as I can tell the Sta-rite / Swimquip 05086-0050* will direct fit to most 1965-1990 Anthony Pool niche light units. They come in 120v/500w models with 30' or 50'* long wires and a 12v/300w unit.

I'll report back as the project progresses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.