Need help: Mustard algae or pollen??

Jun 3, 2012
Folsom, CA
Second year pool owner (first year doing on my own).

Here is the situation:

I am in Sacramento, CA, have been using that bubble-wrap (clear) to raise the water temperature, and it seems to be working fine. On Saturday, I noticed a very small area on pool floor having some kind of yellowish material..thought it is pollen, scrubbed it away (also pool sweep picked up some). Added liquid chlorine (10%), and also noticed some tiny yellowish stuff on one side of the wall (very small area) of the pool. Scrubbed it away too..After couple of hours, noticed the yellow stuff again on the floor (same spot as first time), but no yellow spots on the wall. So, I am thinking is is Mustard algae?? Read the pool school, and got ready to take charge. Tested the pool, and got the following results (Sunday Morning):

pH: 8.0
FC: 3.0 ppm
CC: Absent
TA: 90 ppm
CH: 260 ppm
CYA: < 30 ppm...
Borate: 50 ppm

I started adding chemicals (Sunday morning), and also ran water fall:

Brought the pH down to ~7.2, raised FC to about 15 or so, added stabilizer to raise the CYA..didn't test it again, but I am thinking it is like 40 or so.

While adding the chemicals, I scrubbed the pool (walls, floors, etc), and didn't see any yellow material. But then yellow stuff appears again, around 5-6 hours after adding the chemicals, on the floor (same spot as first time), but no yellow spots on the wall, .

Ran the test again (before going to bed):

pH: ~ 7.2
FC: 11.0 ppm

Did the overnight test, tested the water again this morning, and got the following results:

pH: ~ 7.2
FC: 10.0 ppm

Yellow patch didn't increase in area over night (at least till I left for work).

Do I have a problem at hand or it is pollens?? We had high pollen count over the last couple of days (wife suffers from severe allergy, so she keeps track of pollens).

Can someone help me out...

Thanks.

Not odd, extremely common. Things like pollen that sink very slowly tend to be deposited in the same spots of the pool every time, based on how the water currents tend to flow in your particular pool.

Update: Pool looked the same when I got home, that yellow stuff was still sitting there and hadn't grown.

Ran the test again (before going to bed):

pH: ~ 7.2 (it was dark, so couldn't tell the exact color)
FC: 8.0 ppm

Did the OCLT, tested the water again this morning, and got the following results:

pH: 7.4 (Is it normal for pH to rise 0.2 or so units over a day or two?)
FC: 7.5 ppm

Yellow patch didn't increase in area over night (at least till I left for work)...so I am going to agree with experts here that this looks like pollen..yay :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.