Intex Ultra Frame - To Bond Or Not Bond?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
I have a new-in-box 18' Intex Ultra Frame to set up/fill this spring, and I have to pull a permit for it (a first for me :cry: ). After reading quite a bit on this forum about bonding, I decided I needed to have a phone conversation with the local inspector about bonding. He seemed real interested in spending time on the telephone with me (NOT!) and his only response to my question about bonding was, whatever the pool's instructions call for. Well ...

The pool doesn't mention bonding in the installation instructions, but that is probably assuming that you use the included pump/filter that comes from Intex. I'm not. We made the decision to upgrade to a Hayward Perflex DE/Power-Flo Matrix combo. In the Power-Flo instructions it states: "Install, ground, bond and wire motor according to local or national electrical code requirements."!

Are there any guidelines or consensus here with regard to Intex AGPs and "upgraded" pumps like the Hayward? What advise do you veterans have for me on how to proceed?

Have it "inspected" with the Intex stuff on and manual in hand showing no bonding is required for this type of "temporary" pool and the manufacturer doesn't require it and the intex stuff has GFCI protection built in and let them sign you off.

Then, put the hayward stuff in. I might also tell you the big 2650gph Intex pump after being hard plumbed (mainly getting rid of plunger valves) puts out roughly double the effective water versus the regular old stock setup with plunger valves. No need to get all expensive if you don't need to. The other major improvement was adding a inlet that angles and has cutouts on the outside of it that acts as a venturi. Found them recommended here somewhere and for 5 bucks or so, best investment I made other than the money for the PVC to replace the silly plunger valves.

Bob E.

Safetybob said:
Have it "inspected" with the Intex stuff on and manual in hand showing no bonding is required for this type of "temporary" pool and the manufacturer doesn't require it and the intex stuff has GFCI protection built in and let them sign you off.

Then, put the hayward stuff in. I might also tell you the big 2650gph Intex pump after being hard plumbed (mainly getting rid of plunger valves) puts out roughly double the effective water versus the regular old stock setup with plunger valves. No need to get all expensive if you don't need to. The other major improvement was adding a inlet that angles and has cutouts on the outside of it that acts as a venturi. Found them recommended here somewhere and for 5 bucks or so, best investment I made other than the money for the PVC to replace the silly plunger valves.

Bob E.

Since you brought it up, I just assumed the plunger valves were an improvement over my old Intex pool, which had NO valves. With a cartridge filter that required frequent cleanings, it was such a pain to plug up the pool's inlet and outlet in order to crack open the filter. But this is not the first mention I've seen here about the plunger valve maybe not being the end-all be-all.

As far as the Hayward equipment goes, I realize it cost about as much as the pool itself, but that was a -- how shall I say? -- "group decision" headed up by my boss, the Mrs. We struggled so much with the old pool keeping it clear and filtered and a SWG that just didn't work that we almost went all-out on a steel-sided AGP, and she really liked the Hayward. Should allow for future expansion, as hopefully it'll outlast the Intex (maybe not).

Thanks for the advice.

I, too, had to pull a permit for my pool which is a Sharkline Venture. I was told it didn't have to be bonded but have a dedicated GFI outlet and a safety ladder to pass inspection and that is it!

The plungers come with the bigger Intex pumps. They are very restrictive. As a side note, Unicell replacement filters in the Intex size (I use the big ones in the big pump) are a wonderful upgrade and will last the entire season and then some.

Now that you have real Hayward pool stuff, upgrading to any larger pool will not require more cash blown on newer equipment.

I remember my first small Intex with that horrible tiny pump with no valves and those small cartridges that I changed around every 4th or 5th day......going to the big pump changed that and switching to Unicell carts made the difference again.

Bob E.

I pulled a permit for mine and had to jump thru hoops as far as the new wooden steps and the wiring. I had to have my pump hard wired. The electrician did it, the inspector wanted changes made so the electrician came back. No one ever mentioned bonding it. And I didn't ask. The inspector and his boss said mine was the first pool of this type they'd ever seen. I told them that a lot of people have them, they just aren't getting permits. I did the permit thing and the homeowners insurance thing. I figured better safe than sorry?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.