Jan 28, 2013
Denver, CO
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm getting even more carried away.

I installed a PE653RC (Multiwave controller with remote) and am loving the scheduling abilities and not having to worry about the old manual timers getting out of synch.

In my adventure I'm trying to figure out the wiring / capabilities of the P4243ME and haven't been able to find BOO about it.

Right now I have:
CIR1 & CIR2 for the pump (single speed now - saving 2 for the 2 speed that is getting installed0)
CIR3 for the booster pump
CIR4 Open - Reserved for the P4243ME
CIR5 Heater

I'm wondering how much (if any) smarts there are between the 653 and the 4243 ... any tip on where to find the manual for the 4243? The 653/953 combo manual wasn't exactly helpful.

My dilemma is that I have 5 circuits, want to add the 4243 for the valve actuation when going to spa mode and dont have a circuit to hang the stenner from (I'm thinking I'll use one of the old intermatic 104s) ... is there a better way given the 653 / 4243 combination?

Sooooo....

After much reading it looks like the connection between the 2 is a "dumb" conneciton and the 4243 is simply used to drive the relays (awfully expensive for a 24v transformer that doesn't add more smarts.)

So my gameplan is to add the 4243 to run the valves. The Stenner pump will be run off a Z Wave compatible switch on a schedule with the rest of the equipment thus keeping everything on the remote. This should be interesting. I may start a Pool with Z Wave automation thread....

In the short term (Until I can get a Z Wave automation center) I am using circuit 4 to control my 220V stenner pump. The rub is that circuit 4 want to spin the whole mess into spa mode. I dont have a 4243 installed and cant figure out how to tell the system that Circuit 4 is NOT switching between pool and spa. Ideas?

Do you have the controller set up for both pool and spa?
Do you have a spa?

How do you have the controller set up? (Page 16 of the manual)
I assume you have it set for either;
240V 2-Speed pump + 240V Booster Pump + 240V Actuator + Heater or;
240V 2-Speed pump + 240V Booster pump + other 120 VAC equipment + Heater.

If you have it set the first way it thinks that since you have an actuator that there's a spa attached and when you turn it on it needs to eb in spa mode.

Bama Rambler said:
Do you have the controller set up for both pool and spa?
Do you have a spa?

How do you have the controller set up? (Page 16 of the manual)
I assume you have it set for either;
240V 2-Speed pump + 240V Booster Pump + 240V Actuator + Heater or;
240V 2-Speed pump + 240V Booster pump + other 120 VAC equipment + Heater.

If you have it set the first way it thinks that since you have an actuator that there's a spa attached and when you turn it on it needs to eb in spa mode.

Bama,
There is no "controller setup" that I can find that corresponds to the pages. They are merely wiring suggestions. Apparently if you have it set for Pool & Spa (makes it easy to flip between heater set points) it forces CIR4 into spa valve actuator mode and even if you set a timed event on CIR4 it switches to SPA mode and cranks up the heater.

If you have ideas on how to set the controller to do something different..... beer is on me!

You do the programming in the PE953 remote. You choose whether you have a pool or a pool and spa. If you tell it you have a spa, (which I see that you do) then it assumes that circuit 4 is for the spa actuator and operates it as such any time you turn it on.

How do you switch between pool and spa now?

Walk back to the valves and move them by hand ... hit the P/S button to swithc to SPA mode which kicks the heater on and to the preset temp.

I've accepted that the PE653 is trying to outsmart me ... given that I'm going to move the stenner over to a Z Wave switch (I'm setup as a pool only now and using CIR4 for the stenner ... and adjusting the temp up and down when we use the spa). All this begs another question ... can I schedule ZWave devices (like a CA3750) from the 953 or do I need to go buy a MiCasaVerde Vera3 or veralite and put this together the right way from the start?

If I read the P953 manual correctly, you should be able to add it to a scene and it will control the relay without a Z-wave controller. Granted, I only scanned the manual so you probably want to read the Z-wave part of the manual carefully to make sure it will do what you want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I read the manual 3 or 4 times (specifically the ZWave part) and its not horribly descriptive. I'll just have to order some ZWave switches and see what I can do.

Per the guys at intermatic - no scheduling in the 653 for attached ZWave devices ... only on and off. SO the gameplan is to add a Vera3 or VeraLite. NEW TOYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.