Cleaning the filter -- clumps of DE?

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
I searched around on this topic, but didn't really find what I was looking for...

I recently turned a complete swamp into a pool, and had a question about the DE in the filter.
When I first got started, I decided to manually clean the filter. When I opened it up, there were large clumps of DE on the bottom of the filter tank and stuck to the filter grids....it had a clay-like consistency.
Once I had finished the cleanup, I decided to clean the filter again. This time, I still noticed some large clumps of DE on the bottom of the filter, and some stuck to the grids. These weren't as clay-like, more soft, if you will.

My question is, is this normal once the filter becomes dirty? Does the DE 'clump up' when it gets really dirty?

If you are interested about what it looked like before and after, I created a thread here: 4-hard-days-worth-it-t59369.html :)

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes its normal. Here where we winterize I suggest a mid-season cleaning and before winterizing the filter. If you are open year round I would recommend every 2-3 months, cleaning it as you did.

Why would I need to do a mid-season cleaning? My pressure doesn't go up by more than 2.5 psi between open in May and close in September and the pool is crystal clear all season, thanks to BBB. Been that way for several years now. I just give it a good cleaning every fall close.

I'll chime in as one with similar questions. I've only had the pool for one year now, so not a lot of experience. I always have the DE clumping on the bottom.

My pressure after a clean is around 21 psi, and last year at the end of swim season, it was only at about 23. I wonder if my grids need to be de-scaled or if that is normal. The filter was installed just before I moved in.

The rise in PSI of the filter is the indicator for back washing and in the case of a DE filter recharging of the DE when you are done.

I ran my pool for 12 months and then due to low flow in the heater decided to do my first cleaning of my filter. Man, was it NASTY. No while i may be able to go another year without a breakdown cleaning i don't plan on it. I'm thinking my pattern will be clean it early spring, and clean it late summer. I think what affected mine the most was sunscreen (but of course really have no idea)....

Durk said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes its normal. Here where we winterize I suggest a mid-season cleaning and before winterizing the filter. If you are open year round I would recommend every 2-3 months, cleaning it as you did.

Why would I need to do a mid-season cleaning? My pressure doesn't go up by more than 2.5 psi between open in May and close in September and the pool is crystal clear all season, thanks to BBB. Been that way for several years now. I just give it a good cleaning every fall close.

Every pool is unique and not everyone is meticulous with maintenance - its just a general guideline and/or suggestion - not gospel. LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.