Is there such a thing as pure chlorine pucks?

Sep 11, 2012
Mid-Michigan
Asking because I have a couple of long vacations this summer and pre-planning ( live in country and no one to dose pool while I'm gone). Would rather not use the pucks with fillers if I don't have to. I see Sam's Club has some th at are 95% I believe but I don't need a 50# tub. Thanks! :-D

frustratedpoolmom said:
Oh there are only Cal-hypo tablets with no CYA they can be messy to use they dissolve into a gooey mess. You can't use in trichlor tablet feeders or floaters that previously have trichlor in them.
Like these:
http://www.allaboutspas.net/Chlorin...m_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine
I have not ordered from this shipper this is just an example of the brand I have purchased for a client.

Thanks! I don't use either, just skimmer basket, so may just be what I'm looking for while on vacation!

redhdgirl417 said:
Thanks! I don't use either, just skimmer basket, so may just be what I'm looking for while on vacation!

If I could make a suggestion, you would be better served going to Wal-Mart or some place similar and get yourself a floater. Placing tablets in the skimmer basket creates a very harsh chemical environment in the basket when the pump is off. This can cause corrosion and also cause fairly rapid degradation of the PVC surfaces in the skimmer.

Leslie's Pools Store does sell trichlor tablets that are free of metals (copper). As far as tablets go, their product is good.

Smykowski said:
The answer, unfortunately is no (this first person to come up with such a puck will be a millionaire just by selling them here!).

Chlorine needs to be stabilized or it falls apart on a molecular level, hence the CYA, calcium, or salt to keep it "fresh" until it hits your pool.

:lol: Very true!!!!! I figured they had to have something added to them so they didn't fall apart, but looking for some with the most chlorine build as possible. Thanks!

257WbyMag said:
redhdgirl417 said:

If I could make a suggestion, you would be better served going to Wal-Mart or some place similar and get yourself a floater. Placing tablets in the skimmer basket creates a very harsh chemical environment in the basket when the pump is off. This can cause corrosion and also cause fairly rapid degradation of the PVC surfaces in the skimmer.

Leslie's Pools Store does sell trichlor tablets that are free of metals (copper). As far as tablets go, their product is good.

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Michigan, not sure there are any Leslie's in the state, will have to do a search. I guess if I plan and keep by cya around the 30 mark I could get away with using the pucks for a week in a floater while I'm gone. This will be my first summer going BBB (just got pool last year and pool store chems along with schedule came with pool) and of course 2 big vacations this summer to pre-plan for. I always keep the solar cover on pool when no one in it, so could I just dose pool up to the shock level instead?

LOVE THIS SITE!!!!! :cheers:

Here at TFP, we encourage people to read the ingredients on the label. If you pick up some tablets, look at the ingredients and if you see copper or calcium on there, keep looking.

Depends on how long you are leaving for. If you're going for a week or less, then bump the FC up enough to get through that amount of time and enjoy your trip. More than a week, well, you'll probably be better served using a floater AND bumping the FC up too. You also will need someone to peek in on things to make sure that there are no other problems while you're gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
257WbyMag said:
Here at TFP, we encourage people to read the ingredients on the label. If you pick up some tablets, look at the ingredients and if you see copper or calcium on there, keep looking.

Depends on how long you are leaving for. If you're going for a week or less, then bump the FC up enough to get through that amount of time and enjoy your trip. More than a week, well, you'll probably be better served using a floater AND bumping the FC up too. You also will need someone to peek in on things to make sure that there are no other problems while you're gone.

Thank you so much for the advice...I do have a neighbor that knows nothing about pools but will let me know if the power goes out and such via text. :) Going to have hubs install a timer for the pump so not running 24/7 as well.

I'm feeling more confident now, thanks again! :party:

At one time I would just put a floater in if I was gone for a week or so. Once you really get a feel for the pool, your neighbor might could put it in. I know with full sun last year I would drop about 1.5ppm a day. I would have a jug measured out and a label for the neighbor when they came to feed the dogs.

High CH levels can cause calcium scaling, which is very difficult to remove and often rather unsightly and abrasive. If you are frequently needing to add calcium manually, cal-hypo can be a good deal, but you don't want to raise CH too much.

JasonLion said:
High CH levels can cause calcium scaling, which is very difficult to remove and often rather unsightly and abrasive. If you are frequently needing to add calcium manually, cal-hypo can be a good deal, but you don't want to raise CH too much.

Gotcha, that was what I figured. :cheers:

88mmm said:
Don't leave a floater in a liner pool while you are away. It may float to a corner or the steps and bleach them. I learned this first hand unfortunately.
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Yes, Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder put out chlorine and CYA and lower the pH substantially if there is not circulation. When I first got my pool 10 years ago, I put Trichlor pucks in a floating feeder and it parked itself near some stainless steel underwater bars and the two mounts closest to the feeder rusted.

So if a floating feeder is used, one can tether it so that it stays away from the sides and closer to the middle of the pool. As you've noted, acid is bad for liners -- even worse than concentrated chlorine and the combination of acid and chlorine is particularly harsh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.