PSI for Hayward DE6020 Filter

Possible the gauge is in need of replacement also.
Question I have seeing as I also have a Hayward DE6020. When adding DE after a backwash is 12 blue cups the correct amount or is that for a "New" system?? Thanks and I don't mean to crash the thread :)

Ps mine is at 19 psi past 2 backwashes (I remember it being a little lower last year) but the pool is pretty funky right now. Maybe once it clears up it may be better

Thanks for the info on the cleaning process...I'll post back later with the results.

I'm thinking the gauge is fine only because it goes to zero when nothing is happening, and registers lower pressure amounts when I'm backwashing or rinsing. Maybe the cleaning is the issue, but at this point by instinct is it's something down the line...maybe the heather or something else that's causing the excess pressure when I'm running it normally. But, as I've openly admitted, I don't know a thing about pools, so it's all guesswork on my part.

tpm said:
Possible the gauge is in need of replacement also.
Question I have seeing as I also have a Hayward DE6020. When adding DE after a backwash is 12 blue cups the correct amount or is that for a "New" system?? Thanks and I don't mean to crash the thread :)

Ps mine is at 19 psi past 2 backwashes (I remember it being a little lower last year) but the pool is pretty funky right now. Maybe once it clears up it may be better

You should add 80% of the amount of DE on a "fresh fill" (after a full cleaning)

12 blue cups? Do you have a DE Scoop from the pool store?

You need to weigh the DE yourself. Your filter needs 7.5 pounds on a clean restart and 6 pound after backwashing. The weight of DE in the scoop can vary a lot depending on how packed you get it.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I hate to resurrect an old post, but was this a full tear down cleaning or did you need to acid bath the filter to get down to 16 psi pressure?

was there a clog in the manifold?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this searching DE6020 on google , I rung at 25psi.
ive done a complete clean, just not a acid bath.

I hate to resurrect an old post, but was this a full tear down cleaning or did you need to acid bath the filter to get down to 16 psi pressure?

was there a clog in the manifold?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this searching DE6020 on google , I rung at 25psi.
ive done a complete clean, just not a acid bath.
You have a large pump and depending on the plumbing a 25 psi could be normal for you.

25 is the baseline, 1.5” plumbing with 2 THP pump.

I did a full clean: TSP and MA soak per the TFPsticky and it’s still 25 as my clean.

I also swapped out the Hayward gauge for the glycerin filled Durachoice and it’s still 25.
(22 psi to be precise).

Im a little bummed. All that work and it yielded no psi improvement. At least I confidently know the condition of my grids now. They look almost new. (Second spring, and the first “open” I know what I’m doing.)

Did the full clean out about an hour ago. Everything went fine. I ran it without any DE until it filled up with water (so water was draining out the value). The PSI is still reading 25...

Could it be that 25 is just the normal operating pressure? Any other thoughts on this one before I reload the DE and consider 25 to be normal?

I just replaced all of my grids with new ones today and added the 7.5 scoops of DE. Perfectly clean system. I have a Tristar pump and my pressure is 25 psi. Due to my system being considerably larger that the 12k pool. I have never had to backwash in a season. Pressure has only gone up when I have had to use phosphate remover. I had two panels with 5” tears in them. Your pressure is fine, just set your guage, if it has the colored arms, green at 25 psi and if it gets to the red about 10 psi higher then you know you have to backflush and clean it.

TFP recommends that you clean your filter when the pressure rises 20 to 25% above the clean pressure. If you wait for a 10 psi rise, your flow will be drastically reduced and your system will be very inefficient.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.