How hot / cold do you like your pool water?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Here is a pool preference question for you: What is your ideal water temperature range?

For me it somewhat depends on ambient air temperature, if there is a breeze and what I am doing in the water

Assuming warm air and not much breeze I would say water at 78-80 for active swimming and 80-83 for lounging, maybe a little higher if swimming at night

How about you what do you think is ideal?

I've been gazing at my sparkling clear pool for 2 weeks carefully watching the temp creep up. Yesterday, I took the plunge. Water temp was 70°. I jumped out as quickly as I went in and plunged myself into the hot tub. First dip of the season though! :) brrr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We warmed up to a water temp of 78 today.....I still didn't find it comfortable with outside temps around 78. I haven't had my pool for 2years yet and found myself wanting to "cool" the pool as we approached 90 degrees last summer. I'm thinking I like about 80 to 82 to be happy. BTW the pool went from 76 to 78 today and I noticed the difference.

Killer95Stang said:
Outside temp was 102 today..... Pool was perfect at 82. This was in the out skirts of LA County. Its almost 10pm and still over 80.
I would be satisfied with this.

I'm thinking on a day like today being upper 80s and sunny that if the water was 80 or above I would get in long enough to put the steps in and weight them down.

During the swim season we tend to prefer 87-88 unless it's sunny and in the upper 90s or there isn't any breeze. In which case 85 is fine.

On second thought if the temp is above 75 I will probably get in long enough to secure the steps. :laughblue: << because I will turn hilariously blue.

Boy you folks sure do like your pools hot. Prefered temp is 80-84°. I don't have any heater or cover so it rarely got to 80. It reached 86 once and it was too warm. It was usually in the 76-78° range last year. That is doable, cold getting in but tolerable when you get use to it.

88, 90°? Sheesh, may as well just jump in thw tub and take a bath. I want cooled off from the heat and humidity when I jump in the pool.

I prefer it at around 80°F for lap swimming (which I do a lot of). Warmer than that is OK, especially for more leisurely forays while enjoying a cold adult beverage. As for the other end of the spectrum, I will tolerate water temps down to 65°F for lap swimming only.

92, although when it was close to 100 outside and the water temp was 96, it was a little too warm to swim.

We figure if the board pushes us enough, our local pool store/repair peeps, will call it a hot tub! Just a 24' hot tub with one jet! My kids complained when the water was 90.

I love it bath water warm. We can sit in it for hours (or until a bathroom break, no peeing in our pool).

Eta: we turn the heater down based on our anticipated swim schedule. If we want to swim, we'll turn the heat on in the morning to swim by night. Otherwise I think the heater is set to about 85.

Perfect water temp is anything over 84. Tried 80-82 but just found it a little cool yet for my liking. DS will go in around 78(ish). We have a heater but only used it for the spa over the winter. Haven't tried to heat the entire 26K gallons yet and have no idea A) how long that would take and B) how expensive it would be. Maybe we'll try it at Christmastime. :santa:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.